Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK, cranking but no go????

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
HI,
been off for a while, but with my VK project I changed plugs (had NGK but shop was out so got equivalent BOSCH) put them in started and in 5 seconds car crapped itself and now wont start.
Mech mate stated they often had people with issues with BOSCH plugs and thought coil was blown.
So I changed back to NGK, new coil, has a new dizzy cap, leeds etc, but still wont start.
It is getting fuel (recond holley squirting well), and is getting some spark to plugs, so any ideas???

jas

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
it could be somthing to do with the timing of the spark it also could be the fuel air ratio have you tryed putting some throttle on to keep running

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
done and done, with no difference.
The manual says to try the ignition switch??
I checked the coild and getting 9-10 volts, but just wont kick over

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I think VK needs at least 11V to work properly, just like a blue motor.
Sounds like weak spark.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
nothing wrong with bosch plugs at all, german stuff is the business. i find it highly unlikely that spark plugs are attributed anything towards your problems. you say the plugs are getting spark? is it nice and white/blue or dull orangey? realistically the coil should be getting a strong 12V to work, but also shouldnt stop it running.

is it HEI dizzy? what part number coil are you using? have you checked the timing? where is you base timing with the vac advance line disconnected?

does it WANT to fine, but just skips or is there no pop at all?

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
no pop at all.
it cranks and cranks and nothing.
I will have to check all timing again as been mucking around under bonet so may have moved it or something.
been checking all wiring and voltage etc, so will double check as had some dodgey near igniton due to removal of old immobilser, (but was working after removal for weeks).
was getting crappy spark and replaced coil yesterday.
has NEW leeds, dizzy cap.
aaarrrrgggghhhh

PS its for sale now if someone is keen I think ad is still running but price is now much lower, or make offer...
thanks

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
its all in the ad in the 4 sale section under my user.