Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK ls1 Turbo

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate, you can just get a roller cam for this block. they are pricey, but itll save you in changeover parts. there are only real minor differences between the roller blocks and yours. then stick a pair of VN heads on, manifold off ebay and a nice fat carby. re ring the block, so basically pull it down, hone it and fit file-back rings, maybe replace a few bearings while your at it, and bam. you have a nice 400HP engine that cost you under 2k.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
you do have a point there i guess. be the cheaper way to go. I will see what happens in the coming weeks. Took her for one last spin today. By the time i get home from work next time she will be out of rego:-( Cant really start doing to much to her until i move house in a month so i can still drive it to the new place. save the hassle of taking it there in a million piece.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
mate, you can just get a roller cam for this block. they are pricey, but itll save you in changeover parts. there are only real minor differences between the roller blocks and yours. then stick a pair of VN heads on, manifold off ebay and a nice fat carby. re ring the block, so basically pull it down, hone it and fit file-back rings, maybe replace a few bearings while your at it, and bam. you have a nice 400HP engine that cost you under 2k.

LOL, says he who reckons he can't convert his own 308 to VN heads for 3K....

Also, you need to run retro-fit roller lifters in a non roller cam block which are dear as poison. You won't get out of a roller cam conversion for under $1500. Stay with flat tappet, it's much cheaper and it will do the job quiet fine.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
LOL, says he who reckons he can't convert his own 308 to VN heads for 3K....

*sigh* every thread, every time... YES, VN heads kick arse, YES they are worth it. NO i am not going to put them on mine same as you get those tools that refuse to give up on their 253's, im sticking to my mismatched port head OK???

:p

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of a update on the vk. Pulled the motor out today . Got most of the wiring and dash out to. I am
Going to get the hole car rewired to get rid of all the efi wiring I don't need and all the other **** that won't be going back in the car like electronic dash, aircon, antenna and all that other Calais **** ya don't need. I chopped out the viper alarm system. Took me hours then i decided the hole car will be rewired lol . What a mess they made installing that. Got a mate lined up to start welding up the engine bay in the next few weeks. Got to start getting the rest of the ls conversion parts over the next week so I can dumby fit it next time I am home from work. I will keep use posted with pics

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171370.638411.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171370.638411.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171428.426532.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171428.426532.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 873
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171525.096610.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171525.096610.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 716
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171570.717600.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309171570.717600.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 829

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got some new **** in the mail. Nothing really has happened to the car still waiting for my mate to come and weld up all the holes in the bay
343mm PBR front brake's
c95e7d49.jpg

LS1-VK Tuff mounts
cd0b3a57.jpg

VT Brake Booster Not sure what mods have to be done to get this working in the vk yet. Will have to look into it. It can be done but
9f6bc2a3.jpg

New headlights and Chrome hex head gaurd bolts and new headlight clips.
ae040a9e.jpg

I am slowly running out of room to put all this crap so will have to start getting rid of all the old **** and some other things taking up space. Starting to get a nice collection of new parts for the old girl. hopefully most parts will be brand new when she goes back together.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
been busy Got all the bay welded up and i am starting to smooth the bay now hope to get it in for a paint job next tim i am home from work. Turbo set up is coming along good. I have most of the parts now just waiting on gear box and convertor and a couple othing things
heres a few pics.
4fdd8eb3.jpg
engine bay all welded up ready to start smoothing
52d7051d.jpg
dummy fit without the turbo
46b30217.jpg
side veiw of the setup befor we started to hack into the manifold
e02ce4e6.jpg
front veiw of setup
a41cea9e.jpg

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
some other things i bought too
vn power steering rack
vs v8 k frame
Fast fuel rails
60lb injectors
3 bar map sensor
MSD coils
JP double row timing chain
90mm throttle body
3lt surge tank
Teflon speedflow 200 series braided hoes and fittings ( e85 ready)
Coil relocation bracket
Polished powersteering res
Polshed catch can
Waiting on a desert cooler with twin thermos
heaps of other **** should be in the mail too so by the time i get home in 2 weeks i should have all the parts to get this beast running apart from tailshaft and dash set up.

Last edited:

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bought a **** load more parts over the last few weeks waiting for the rest to rock up and will get some pics up. I got Ksport coilover setup, full performance nolthan bush kit, Polished rocker covers, 20" FR simmons copys, KLS 44mm wastegate. heaps of other shiny **** too. The engine bay in just about finished and ready for paint. Made enough room to fit the intercooler in there after alot of chopping of ****. hope to have the engine back in by monday to finish off the turbo setup. Then its off to get painted:-D