Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"VK" swapping LH front seat to RH front rails

VK-Berlina5.0

turbo setup would be good
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
Hey I was wondering if I could swap my LH front seat over to the RH side.
I found a perfect LH seat at the wreckers (all RH seats are wrecked) and I want to change it over to the RH side.
I know that I need to change the rails over but im not sure how they come out.
Theres these bars that go up the seat backrest joined to the seat adjustment mechanism. Do I have to take them out?
I think I have to swap the whole thing because then the seat adjustment dial will be on the inside of the car towards the centre console not on the outside like its meant to be.

So all I want is the foam and velour trim from the new seat and have my old rails from my old seat so it can be used on the RH side.
If this makes any sense, can somebody please help

Cheers....
Scott

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It may be too much work to be worth it. The back rest, base, rails and brackets are all different. If there is any way to strip it down without wrecking it you should be able to change it over.

VK-Berlina5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
yeh that would of been a great idea but i wanted to use the new foam inside aswell as the covers cause my original one is pretty much wrecked, there is nothing good about the original seat.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Yeah well swap the foam and the covers, you can give the frame a clean up and paint prior to re assembly if you want to make it look really nice

much easier than converting a seat.

cheers
Scott

VK-Berlina5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
yeh thats what i wanted to do but im not sure how to pull them apart.
All i want is the foam and covers from the new seat and put it on the orignial rails/frame.

how do u pull the frame out from the seats?

Cheers....

VK-Berlina5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
does anybody know how to pull the frame out from the seats?
cause i dont want to wreck my new seat while trying to pull it apart

Cheers.....

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
It's best to find a motor trimmer to do what you want done here.
The cushion part of the seat undoes around the bottom where the seat bolts down onto the height adjuster and runners that give you the movement up to and away from the steering wheel. the back of the seat undoes across the bottom. The head rest is held in place by a pin or clip thingy inside the back of the seat. Some people are trick enuff that they can give the head rest a yank and it comes out no probs. Don't try it your self. You will see why if you take the cover off the seat frame.
The seat runners are bolted through the floor with some sort of locking compound on the thread. They can be socket head or allen key type bolts or more normal hex headed bolts into the floor pan. They do NOT have to be heated or anything, just get the correct size socket or spanner for the bolt and it will come undone. Just don't lose the little clip thingo's that hold the fabric onto the frame.
Somewhere in another thread there was a description on how to put VT front seats into a VK. If you can do that, then they should be able to be put into anything back to VB. The Seat frames are identical doesn't matter which side of the car you are on. It's just the hinge and adjuster that makes the difference for which side of the car it goes into. You also have to be a bit careful with the seat adjust rails with the release being on the correct side of the seat. LOL.

Last edited:

VK-Berlina5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
yeah i read what you said robbo10 and i understood you clearly
ive swapped them over now thanks, it wasnt as hard as i thought it was gonna be but there was some parts which were difficult.
thanks everyone for the help and info.

Cheers.....