Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK vs VL, how many are left?

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi all,

I saw someone filling up a VK on the weekend and it got me thinking that although I have seen the occasional VK it's been a long time since I've seen a VL even though I thought there were more VLs sold. I was wondering what everyone else's observations are, have they seen more VKs or VLs or any at all for that matter?

Would there be any reason that there would be more surviving VKs than VLs even though they are an older car? I know that at one stage I think that the VL has the record for being the most stolen car but I don't know what effect if any it had on survivor numbers. At one stage there was a thread "How many are left" but that was back in 2018 so I thought I would post to see what people's thoughts were.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not sure what I see more of....I do see both fairly reguarly.....

Any Commodore from VB through to VL were stolen reguarly, as they were easy for theives to steal...Come the VN, they were a little more difficult....

Have rellies 250 k away and 6 doors down is one very nice original VK...Apparently the owner drives it everyday a short distance....

Which model would have more surviving...No one knows.....Driving around the back blocks of country towns you'll be surprised what you find..I personally know a place that has 6 Commodores in the yard, but to find them you actually have to drive up the driveway 1/2 kay amongst a heap of trees before you actually see them...So I would suspect there are plenty of places like this that have these models hiding that we just haven't found yet....Not to mention ones hiding in sheds around the place

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I think that it depends on where you are located. When driving around Melbourne I rarely see a VL or VK, but if I go to Ballarat I might see 3 VLs in a single day (which is probably as many as I’d see in Melbourne in a year).

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Don't see many around Brisbane, cant even remember the last time I saw either a VK or VL.
Been seeing quite a few VS commies around town the last several months though

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
unless its on a cruise I don't see too many VK or VL in the wild. Did see a bronze VK in the CBD at 8am on a weekday last week, and it stood out that's for sure.
I do see a few interesting dailies pop up on the commute from time to time, maybe fun car friday?

on any cruise I see a number of VL's, more so than VK's.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Hi all,

I saw someone filling up a VK on the weekend and it got me thinking that although I have seen the occasional VK it's been a long time since I've seen a VL even though I thought there were more VLs sold. I was wondering what everyone else's observations are, have they seen more VKs or VLs or any at all for that matter?

Would there be any reason that there would be more surviving VKs than VLs even though they are an older car? I know that at one stage I think that the VL has the record for being the most stolen car but I don't know what effect if any it had on survivor numbers. At one stage there was a thread "How many are left" but that was back in 2018 so I thought I would post to see what people's thoughts were.

Where did you see it? What colour and condition? Sedan or Wagon?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I see VL's come up for sale reasonably frequently on FB Buy and Sell, some people ask a lot for them. I think they were a bit of a HOS but many will likely disagree.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I love the VKs. What did that one look like?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Majority of vk commodores you see in Sydney have been rebuilt as Brock clones....or clapped out stockers

Mike001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V VF Sedan
Funny how some stick in your mind. My VL was a favourite. But I still remember my first - an FB - when I was quite young.