Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] VK wagon exhaust recommendations

Armo0901

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 3.3 carby
Gday I have a 1984 VK commodore wagon 6cyl with a carby and was wondering what my best option would be for a better sounding exhaust. I’ve had a little bit of a look online but can’t find much and I don’t want to go too loud but definitely louder than the stock exhaust.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I got a 2 1/2" system, with a lukey muffler only last week on my VC....Running a 6 with a reasonable cam...

To me it's got a nice note, but not over the top noise wise.......Had it up in the higher rev range and also driven it at 80 kph and no drone.

Only drove it for an hour as the radiator is foobared, so I'm waiting for a replacement before I do more kays with it...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
2" would be a better size for economy. Lukey muffler as above, hotdog in the rear if you want to take the edge off it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would look at flowmaster perf tube mufflers.
Maybe add one of those then a flowmaster dual cone muffler. 2.5" will be easier and cheaper to do and with the right mufflers you can keep it under control.
But with this setup you need to weld up the system with mandrel bends only takes me about 4 hours on a hoist drive in drive out.

Also I would recommend some extractors too.

If you have the cash a yella terra head upgrade will make it sound even better but that's about 2500-3000. But you don't need to touch the bottom end doing that and can even add a little cam for an extra 500.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you have ever heard a Lukey on a Holden straight 6 you would never fit anything else, they are music on these engines.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I would look at flowmaster perf tube mufflers.
Maybe add one of those then a flowmaster dual cone muffler. 2.5" will be easier and cheaper to do and with the right mufflers you can keep it under control.
But with this setup you need to weld up the system with mandrel bends only takes me about 4 hours on a hoist drive in drive out.

Also I would recommend some extractors too.

If you have the cash a yella terra head upgrade will make it sound even better but that's about 2500-3000. But you don't need to touch the bottom end doing that and can even add a little cam for an extra 500.

I have extractors a crow 35665 cam (so you can check the specs out), yella terra roller rockers on a slightly ported blue/black head, with a 350 holley....I haven't checked out what jets or P/V it's running yet....

This is what I am basing my opinion on.

Also be careful with the extractors....Extractors with fuel injection differ from ones with a carb and manifold....You might be able to fit carbed extractors with injection, but definately not the opposite way around

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
IMA, with the system that was put on my car, it only has the lukey muffler...No hot dog.....The exhaust has been flanged at the extractors (which I asked for) and just after the muffler, so the tailpipe seperates from the main system...I didn't ask for this to be done but not complaining.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Also be careful with the extractors....Extractors with fuel injection differ from ones with a carb and manifold....You might be able to fit carbed extractors with injection, but definately not the opposite way around

You can fit carby extractors to EFI however they don't have the EGR port or the risers. EFI extractors hit the underside of the carby manifold so yeah, they definitely don't fit.