Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl aut problems

308commodore

308 commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
308 VK CALAIS
vl auto problems

hey guy's,
i've just bought a vl coomodore wagon off a work mate. still got rego, chip, full sports exhaust, 17 inch mags plus a monster tacho with shift light. only paid $500. bargain... but my problem is that the auto is starting to play up. all will be fine driving on the highway go to put my foot down just a little bit and it stars to shudder. put foot down harder or push power button in kick back a gear and it goes away. i can be travelling 70 kays or 100 kays. it's starting to become a little bit more offen. my mates wagon had the same problem but alot worse but he sold the soon after. is it a common problem? any help would be much appreciated...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
hey guy's,
i've just bought a vl coomodore wagon off a work mate. still got rego, chip, full sports exhaust, 17 inch mags plus a monster tacho with shift light. only paid $500. bargain... but my problem is that the auto is starting to play up. all will be fine driving on the highway go to put my foot down just a little bit and it stars to shudder. put foot down harder or push power button in kick back a gear and it goes away. i can be travelling 70 kays or 100 kays. it's starting to become a little bit more offen. my mates wagon had the same problem but alot worse but he sold the soon after. is it a common problem? any help would be much appreciated...:thumbsup:

Yes common prob ,you will have to leave it in PWR mode to stop it..

Try here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=11498

Last edited:

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
yes its common, its a chain that keeps going. it starts happening so the owner sells, the next person doesn't realise before they buy it and then they sell and so on. no one seems to be bothered fixing it or they get scared off by the prices that gearbox places quote to fix it. it happened to me with a vn and a vl.

it could be the centre bearing (like my vl was) or uni's but its most likely the torque converter (like my vn was). please fix it and stop the number of vl's that just keep getting passed on with this problem. its a bit of a nasty surprise when you trust someone when you buy a car only to get on the highway and have the thing shake the **** outta ya

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Have you checked the uni's and the centre bearing?

Shane1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL SL
It sounds like the torque converter is trying to lock up on ya. I beleive if it was your uni joints it would do it all the time whether in power mode or not because power mode doesnt change the uni joints around.:thumbsup:

vl rb30e

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore s2 rb30e
yea had the same problem with my na vl go into 4 and shudder just when to super cheap go a bottle of this auto stuff cant remember what i was called but it only cost 10 buxs and 12 months later hasent done it since before i put that auto stuff in it was really bad preaty much had no 4 gear and could kick mine back to three as my power button does not work

308commodore

308 commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
308 VK CALAIS
thanks for the info guy's:thumbsup: . no i haven't checked uni's or centre bearing but will do. i certainly won't be getting rid of the old girl as she is going to be used to tow my speedway car :driving: around.:w00t: