Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL dies under acceleration

bacon-n-eggs

Tyre Frier
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shitbox, in need of a snail!!
Hey guys!!

Ive got an issue that is starting to arise with my VL. Basically, I'll be driving along and it will cut out (no warning lights come on, no loss of powersteering) and then come back on after a second or so, then accelerate, then it does it again. I usually find at about 30km/h it does this, and then at 40. I read it may be the connections to the trans ecu, so I cleaned it all up and so far **fingers crossed** it hasnt happened. But it idles really low in drive and neutral, fine in park. Ive got a new CAS for the car that I'll put in tomorrow but from the looks of things, it seems to be something more?

Any ideas would be fantastic, thanks in advance :)

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
The external fuel pump is most likely to be on it's way out. The one i was wrecking recently had a kill switch for the external fuel pump, it'd still start using the internal lifter pump but wouldn't rev. As soon as i flicked the switch to turn on the external pump, it ran fine.

HTH Drew

bacon-n-eggs

Tyre Frier
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok sweet, i'll follow that up then and see how it all goes!! Thanks mate :)

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
bet its the CAS

or the AFM is starting to fail bud...

can be the plug on the CAS as welll (corrosion on pins/loose wires where crimped under the rubber boot.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Sounds similar to when my CAS was on it's way out. Would randomly lose power when accellerating, and would stall randomly [It's an Auto, too]. Got a new CAS and bam, fine as a fiddle.

Apart from my fuel pump/regulator issue now lol.

cuttinglaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 S2 VX CLUBSPORT
I'd be checking in this order ... Coil power wires, ignition relay, everything in the dizzy then fuel reg ...

Cheers, Drew

bacon-n-eggs

Tyre Frier
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I see where this is going. I got a brand new CAS kit with bearings, new plugs and all that, plus the new power transformer thingo (which ive already installed) so I'll change that tomorrow and see where it goes from there. At the moment the car is running fine, idling low at times but hasnt done the acceleration drop since earlier today. Fingers crossed then!! Ive read that to check your AFM, you put a multimeter through it and if it read 500 ohms or something then its fine? Is this true because apparently mine is working a ok?

sharko85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 vk calais
vn v6 into vk

Can anyone help me I'm putting a vn v6 into my 1985 vk does anyone know how to take the crap out of the vn lume an just keep what I need to make it run or if there is an adaptor to fit the vk efi lume ? Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

bacon-n-eggs

Tyre Frier
Reaction score
Members Ride
From memory you'd need to splice the engine side of the loom into the vk loom, although I wouldn't know 100%. Start a thread in the VK section and they might be able to help more :)

On another note, Ive found that once the car has been driven for a little bit, and is warm, the idle issue vanishes. Obviously tomorrow I shall report with more re the cas but yeah, that may shed some light?

Last edited: