Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL possible blown head gasket.

VLVSBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina and one R31 skyline and one written off
Hey guys and girls.
My vl blows white smoke and the oil cap is milky BUT it hasnt been started in months. Is it a blown head gasket from personal experience? If you guys think it is then I'm going to rebuild it with an rb25 head and build anoter block that's going to be ready for boost then transfer the head over and do some more work.
On a side note, the plugs are pretty black and carbonny, and when î rev it to about 3500 and higher it splutters and sounds like its bckfiring. And the exhaust souds tinny in the engine bay
HEELP!!

VLVSBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
that sucks :/ well guess its rb25 head time

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
pressure test it or drain oil and give it a service (may be lucky and it's moisture building up from sitting but maybe not), if a head/ head gasket is gone and you leave an engine sitting for months the rings will usually rust to the bore, for some reason they don't turn over to well after that.....
if the fuel is months old it'll be stale and could be causing the bad running engine.

VLVSBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay the milky cap was from moistyre, I've been running it a bit and its fine, now it'll rev fine but a bit too slow and doesn't really go above 5000 (not that I tried that hard). Changed afm, cas and tried pinching the return fuel line. Next I'm going to try another ecu, if that doesn't work its getting an rb25 head and rebuild

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Have you pressure tested it aswell just to be safe?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
have you got fresh fuel in it or the months old petrol?

VLVSBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brand new 98 octane fuel in it
And I only have an old style (hold tester in hole and crank) pressure tester and don't have anyone to help me till the weekend. How much are screw in hole testers anyway?
And if its low compression won't I have to remove the head to fix it anyway?
Thanks everyone!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i picked up a stanley screw in tester from supercheap for about $35 on sale a couple of months ago, i think normally they're $45ish, wasn't the best of the best but at least it'll show variances in the cylinders and give an idea if a cylinder or 2 are down to the rest, been used on a few engines so far and it works quite well, i never liked the push and hold testers and they don't work very well on engines with recessed spark plugs like the rb's (in my experience anyway).

I'd been looking at cheap ones made in china for a while @ $25-30.... this one has some form of warranty that i can argue with a sales rep locally if it fails and didn't have to wait 2-6 weeks to get it in my hands.....

the other test is a cooling system pressure test, probably more likely to show up a problem. (i haven't found any cheap testers around yet)

with the engine running are there bubbles showing up in the radiator cap area in the water?

Last edited: