Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Security and Interior advice needed urgent!

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
I keep hearing stories of VLs being stolen etc etc, and so living near the Frankston area doesnt exactly fill me with confidence.

So can someone point me in the direction of finding a security system for my car be it through websites, companies or other threads?

Also, i feel the VL interior is a little dated, i was wondering what modifications could be done (i already plan to put some nice leather VS seats in, what can be done to the dash/centreconsole? If i put a VS steering wheel in can i have the airbag set up to work also?).

Thanks very much in advance!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
For security...hide Piezo's (at least 5) around the cabin. These things are so loud they **** you to tears if you cant turn them off

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Unless its a portable shed for when i park it in Frankston that wont help, although letting a rabid dog loose there is a valued suggestion :thumbsup: .

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
VLs are usually the most stolen car

the locks wear and it seems any VL key can open any VL lock and work the ignition lock to start the car, Ive tried 2 other VLs with my key and it worked on both

new locks if available would seem a good investment

Im also near frankston and have a case hardened chain attached to the seat that locks to the steering wheel, plus a good quality steering wheel lock
an autoelectrician didnt want to fit any secret switches, but a switch for the main fuel pump seems a good idea

the steering column surround at the top is metal, isnt it?
it was plastic on earlier commodores making defeating the steering lock very easy

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
New locks is a very good start, i believe ill get those done. How hard would it be to get a new key made for that? Obviously it means id have an ignition key and lock key but thats fine with me.

Care to tell me more about this switch? Why wouldnt an auto elec do one?

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
NICE auto products do ignition and lock sets for the vl so you can have the same key for your ignition, doors and boot. i have a NICE ignition barrel and solex locks to get rid the key problem. you can get them at repco. the doors and boot are easy but the ignition barrel is more involved. it was already in my car when i got it so i don't know how to change it

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
Unless its a portable shed for when i park it in Frankston that wont help, although letting a rabid dog loose there is a valued suggestion :thumbsup: .

easy solution, do what i do and dont let the car out of your sight.

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Alot of people split the Park sensor circuit on the 3spd auto selectors and add another on/off switch in series, then hide it somewhere.

Or be crafty and use a latching relay circuit so once you've turned the key to ignition you have to press a momentry button before the car starts, then it automatically resets after the cars shut off.