Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vlt/ vn v8 brake setups

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
Hi,
Iam wondering the exact differences between vlt /v8 and v6 braking systems.

I know the master cyl is bigger 1"
and the booster is bigger, twin diagphram

Is it correct the discs on the v6 are 270mm and
vl t and 5l vn are 280mm?

So i need different calipers aswell,
vlt v8 5l?

I heard all the v6s got the v8 brakes after vp s2? up to vs
Can i use vs calipers ? are they the same?

Have considered vt upgrade but wanting to keep it all rwc and not defectable

thanks very much guys

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
The heavy duty brakes/ V8 brakes are 288mm. The bigger calipers have cooling fins on the top and can be found in most VP's. Im ot sure if the VS brakes are the same but they look the same. The VP V6's with heavy duty brakes came with the bigger booster and the 15/16 master cylinder. I did the conversion last year in my VN and it all bolts straight up.

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
as far as im aware you can put the bigger rotors on from the v8 vn/vp models and keep the same calipers. i think all the calipers bolt up to the same mounting points. i have a vn which i put the vt breaks on. the calipers bolted up to the same mounts. but the kit came with an adaptor hub for the rotors because after the vp they changed to a floating dics where on the pre vp the hub and dics were all in one

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
hi,
thanks for the replys guys.
i will be getting the 1" master, bigger booster,
now i need to confirm the calipers and maybe able to get them off a vp vr vs at wreckers.
thanks guys

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
why dont you do the upgrade to the vt ones. my dad did the upgrade to his vs v8 ute cause my breaks worked better than his.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VN/VP use the same rotor design (same as they did right from the first VB commodore) on the VR models they changed the strut/hub design. the VLT and later (VN)V8 callipers used the finned design right through to VS. they all however use the same brake pads.

all commodores from VB used the 260mm rotors and it was with the VLT that the slightly larger 270mm diameter rotors were used. this then became the standard brake package for the VN V8's and all models in the VP range.

Having said that, the Commodore has always been under braked until the twin spot calliper set up was fitted on VT models.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
VN/VP use the same rotor design (same as they did right from the first VB commodore) on the VR models they changed the strut/hub design. the VLT and later (VN)V8 callipers used the finned design right through to VS. they all however use the same brake pads.

all commodores from VB used the 260mm rotors and it was with the VLT that the slightly larger 270mm diameter rotors were used. this then became the standard brake package for the VN V8's and all models in the VP range.

Having said that, the Commodore has always been under braked until the twin spot calliper set up was fitted on VT models.

thanks for the replys guys, great info there.
have considered the vt conversion but have it on a vs and wanto keep the car 100% rwc for a daily driver. plans anyway

are the vs front calipers same as vn v8 vp vr v6 vlt?

thanks