Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VLT won't start, i'm at my wits end I swear

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I had issues with rough running it was a vacuum leak from a cracked line next to the manifold and also made my spark plugs black

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Cheers for the tips guys, just bought a new set of leads, about to put them on then test the injectors for pulse

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 2

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Ok so my fuel pressure regulator was fine (pulled the top hose off, primed engine, no fuel came through so it isn't leaking), placed an LED in my injector plugs and had my wife crank the engine a few times, each injector plug caused the LED to flash on all 6 injectors, so it's getting pulse. It has spark. It has fuel. Even if the timing is out, it should still start, even for a few seconds, or even just running like ****.

cracker

Reaction score
if your timing is miles out it wont start.
sounds like the dizzys teeth are out of synch with the drive gear? have you looked at that?

also its quite easy to foul a set of plugs and it wont run either.

another stupid thing to consider is blocked exhaust - cats broken up/melted.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
if your timing is miles out it wont start.
sounds like the dizzys teeth are out of synch with the drive gear? have you looked at that?

also its quite easy to foul a set of plugs and it wont run either.

another stupid thing to consider is blocked exhaust - cats broken up/melted.

I'll have to get someone with a timing light to come have a squiz at my timing to see if it's way out.

The plugs got put in yesterday arvo, but I will have to take them out to compression test the engine anyway so I can suss them again when they're out.

Also, I uhh, have a gutted cat lol

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
High flow cats are wayyy better, u should get urself one. I put bought one a month or two ago. Gives a better note and u don't get that tingy popping sound when going down a hill in gear. But obviosly mine would sound different with extractors and that when urs is turbo

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
High flow cats are wayyy better, u should get urself one. I put bought one a month or two ago. Gives a better note and u don't get that tingy popping sound when going down a hill in gear. But obviosly mine would sound different with extractors and that when urs is turbo

I would but I'm selling the VL once I get it fixed anyway, my 3" exhaust gives a mad low rumble when I drop down a gear going downhill, sounds pretty boss cos it's straight through from the turbo back haha

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
I second the timing it's either 180 out or out of sequence. Dizzy out push car over till 1st cylinder is at tdc slide in dizzy so rotor arm points to lead post 1 on dizzy. Then fine tune in with a timing light. U have fuel spark compression it's the only thing is spark timing

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
I second the timing it's either 180 out or out of sequence. Dizzy out push car over till 1st cylinder is at tdc slide in dizzy so rotor arm points to lead post 1 on dizzy. Then fine tune in with a timing light. U have fuel spark compression it's the only thing is spark timing

Make sure its on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. Put compression tester in no 1 cyl and turn over by hand and watch for the gauge to raise a little. Use a long peice of wire (coat hanger) down the plug hole to determine when the piston is at tdc.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Where do you crank the engine from on the RB30? Can you tell I've never cranked an engine by hand lol.

So basically what you guys are saying, is crank the engine by hand, make sure cylinder 1 is fully up, put the dizzy back on so the rotor arm faces lead 1, then try it & if it's running, suss it with a timing light?