Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN and VP have different parcel shelves

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
i think he means the metal frame under the rear parcel shelf hehe lol

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
VN didnt have the high level brake light, They had all 4 lights in the back, the ones with the high level only had 2.
Thats probley why theres the hole.
Some VN's didnt have rear speakers.

yes they did...unless people had them fitted after production :)

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
I just wanted to know if anyone can have a look up at the parcel shelf from inside the boot in a non IRS VP and tell me if there is a hole under the high mount tail light. It's just that I noticed my VP has the hole and the VN is all solid and I didn't think there was any differences between the shells. Now I'm wondering what else changed in the shell from VN-VP.

Oi Airstriker fix that title to say parcel shelves :) I've breathed to much bushfire fumes today :D

the VN's had a bracket spot welded onto rear shelf (sheetmetal) for the highmount brake light and the wire was fed down thru one of many pre-drilled holes in the sheetmetal,the parcel shelf was clipped into place with clips,the high mount brake light sat on top of shelf and self tappered screws used to go thru parcel shelf to bracket underneath

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you shouldnt need one, as it wasnt fitted from factory. unless of course you want one fitted.

true, in a way, here in NZ all vehicles from 1990 need high stop lights fitted. if it's before 1990 then you don't need it.......unless it's had one fitted then it does need to work (mines a 1989 but did have one fitted at some stage) now i'm not sure if it was fitted by holden but it looks crappy and rattles like hell and wasn't working so i ripped it out. but i'll need something to get my next wof etc. i likethe look ofthe late model cars where the highstop light is part of the parcel shelf and is under the carpeted bit etc. i'm sure you must be able to mod the sheet metal underthe parcel shelf to fit the later style stop light?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mine used to have the VR Parcel shelf and VR light under the carpet. It all fits into a VN/P easy but I wanted mine to have the original setup

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mine used to have the VR Parcel shelf and VR light under the carpet. It all fits into a VN/P easy but I wanted mine to have the original setup

so it fits straight in, no mods needed, except to the sheetmetal to fit the light?

V8 Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 / Toyota Hiace
true, in a way, here in NZ all vehicles from 1990 need high stop lights fitted. if it's before 1990 then you don't need it.......unless it's had one fitted then it does need to work (mines a 1989 but did have one fitted at some stage) now i'm not sure if it was fitted by holden but it looks crappy and rattles like hell and wasn't working so i ripped it out. but i'll need something to get my next wof etc. i likethe look ofthe late model cars where the highstop light is part of the parcel shelf and is under the carpeted bit etc. i'm sure you must be able to mod the sheet metal underthe parcel shelf to fit the later style stop light?

I thin its something like that hear to. From a certian date when the ADR rules came in it had to be changed. Thats why theres still VN's that have all 4 brake lights in the tail lights cus they used the left over looms.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
so it fits straight in, no mods needed, except to the sheetmetal to fit the light?

The light in mine fitted on the VN/P taillight mount but was screwed into the side instead of the top, you would have to look at a VR/S to see the official way :). The seatbelts come through the parcel shelf on the VR too, you can change your VN/P to do this also