Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN auto trans playing up

alchupanibre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN berlina wagon
Hey all. Our 90 VN berl wagon is starting to play up in the mornings. it changes into second fine its just when it needs to change into 3rd, it wont until it reaches 60 and nearly blowing the engine, and today my mum said it shudderd driving at a low speed. whats the probelm, easy fix? cheers

VNwazza

VS S Series III Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
None ATM
Same thing just happened to my VN Wagon. I was told by someone I trust, "your Auto Trans is stuffed." It is not easy for me to fix as I would have to do it one my own. But it can be done, but its not an easy job to change over a transmission. If you decide to with a few mates, well get a old trans with not too many k's and you'll be okay

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hey all. Our 90 VN berl wagon is starting to play up in the mornings. it changes into second fine its just when it needs to change into 3rd, it wont until it reaches 60 and nearly blowing the engine, and today my mum said it shudderd driving at a low speed. whats the probelm, easy fix? cheers

My guess is that the throttle valve or 2-3 shift valve both in the valve body - on the bottom of the trans inside the oil pan - is sticking. It's possibly worn or there's clutch or band material in there somewhere. Another possibility is the governor sticking - behind the round black pressed steel cover on the back of the trans - but that it shifts OK 1-2 suggests not. You might fix it but it probably will be cheapest to swap the trans with another (used) one. If doing that, try to get one out of a car with a similar build date to yours as there are detail changes made to the trans within model runs.

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
Your auto, sheez no good... mine is doing similar now, mainly due to having done 250K, and now having to cope with too much torque.

Might i suggest a full oil and trans filter change? While there, throw some Lucas Trans Additive in, i did this to mine and it felt like new...

Then i boosted it, and it hates me again :p

HICOMPVN

Wanting That Lil Bit More
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR SII Commodore
LOL @ VN Wagz........

While there, throw some Lucas Trans Additive in, i did this to mine and it felt like new...
Then i boosted it, and it hates me again :p

yeah that'll do it

yeah sounds like your tranny is stuffed, go to the wreckers and get one or try $1200-$2000 for a new/reco one!!!!!!!!

mine did the same, you will loose 3rd very soon, and when that goes you only got 2 gears, when it tries to go into 3rd it will free rev/neutralise (drops into neutral, instead of a gear), just better to get another tranny!!!!

matt

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
if you are game rebuild kits are cheap $350ish.
youtube has how to videos aswell.

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Before you think about tossing the trans get pro opinion.. take it to a transmission shop for a looksie.. may possible be blockage somewhere in the system or the humogilator playing up best get it checked by trans shop... shouldnt cost anything for them to take a look..

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
if you are game rebuild kits are cheap $350ish.
youtube has how to videos aswell.

Im almost game- due to the cost- however, its all the tiny little fine-points (like adjusting and machining jobs) that i reckon would be hard with something rebuilt at home.

And i wouldnt rely on a home built one to handle too much power.

PietroChocko

Nurses do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a VN Executive 5.0, but now a Ford Laser Auto.
Too many burnouts in the shaggin wagon huh? Lol