Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais Interior light fader/dimmer

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
hey i was just wandering is there anyway to hook up a dimmer/fader to a VN Calais, it has the 2 rear lights above the rear doors and the centre light in the hood lining, they all operate off the door open switches, so how can i hook a dimmer up?

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
looks like this one has stumped u all, or no one really gives a ****, do u all think its a stupid mod ???

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
ive thought about this too. wonder if there is something that controls it, or just a capacitor hooked into it somewhere

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Is it really that bigger thing that you wanna spend money and time doing it?

Im sure it could be done. You just need to find the wiring that turns the lights on when a door is opened... My indicators have been hooked up so they turn on when the doors are opened as well so that would be the same wire.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
im sure it would be easy to hook a capacitor up to it, but it would get annoying because it would do it when the door is opened, but also when you use the interior light switch

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
If the later models have a light that dims down slowly (VY or VZ) then it might help you to have a look at some wiring diagrams for those models. Even if you don't really understand the diagrams, it could give you and idea of what is on the circuit for the interior lights.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yep like i mentioned before. that kit is mostly just a couple of capacitors and a few resistors

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The fader is possible if you use the circuitry out of a vp switchblock which I did to my vp when I put in a l3 dash because that circuitry is taken up by the mode etc buttons on the switchblock...I have one extra spare ready if you are keen and its not too hard to connect up but it doesnt dim the lights constantly just times the interior lights out after the door has been shut for 30 seconds

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
hey i was just wandering is there anyway to hook up a dimmer/fader to a VN Calais, it has the 2 rear lights above the rear doors and the centre light in the hood lining, they all operate off the door open switches, so how can i hook a dimmer up?

Hey there, there would be easy as long as you're not using the headlight switch. On a VS, undo the clips and drop the fuse cover down and look to the right just above the kick panel. You might have to take it off, but there's 2 orange wires there. 1 orange and 1 orange with a white stripe. I can't remember which is earth, but it's damn easy to work it out.

You would just need to intercept the 12v power source here with some sort of resister, or you could also do it to the earth. Either way would work but incepting it here would control both front lights and back lights too as this harness goes to the roof light, then to the side calais map lights (above the rear doors). You could install 3 dials (1 at each light) varying the resistance or whatever, being careful you don't intercept another lights line. You would probably need to create a bypass line and a resistance line to that particular light. This mod seems easy enough.

It easy enough to earth out other lights to the earth line here (interior neons etc) as long as each light in the car has a constant 12v feed. I replaced the interior lights with those fancy blue LEDS to lower the power drain on this line too. Plus it looks cool behind the map lights! :D

If you're using the headlight switch method in a Calais (which I'm trying to find how to switch from exec), then it's controlled at the BCM, and it's just a matter of finding whether it's the voltage that's changed here, or the level of resistance at the earth which is the difference between tapping into the 12v line and earthing out, or giving a 12v constant feed and letting the varying level of earth take care of it. Once again, sounds easy enough.