Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Door handle replacement

Dagwoodone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSSSV100
Have a problem re assembling door handles on a mates vn he pulled the door handles off and painted all components and when we put them back in there holes 3 out of the 4 handles hit the outer housings and stick we tried the rubbers on 1st then trying to move whole handle assy but nothing seemed to fix the hitting of the housing by the the handle any advice would be appreciatted .

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
you mean the lifter handle is hitting the outter frame and chipping the paint? that can happen because each handle wears a certain way, you may have mixed and matched driver side handle parts with passenger side.

ive had it happen to me before too. you have to label the handle parts on the back so both handle frame and lifter go back to the same set and same door.

has the car been resprayed? it can also happen if youve gotten too much of a build up in paint where the plastic surround needs to sit. which in turn sinks the lifter too far in, causing it to touch when you lift....

Dagwoodone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSSSV100
you mean the lifter handle is hitting the outter frame and chipping the paint? that can happen because each handle wears a certain way, you may have mixed and matched driver side handle parts with passenger side.

ive had it happen to me before too. you have to label the handle parts on the back so both handle frame and lifter go back to the same set and same door.

has the car been resprayed? it can also happen if youve gotten too much of a build up in paint where the plastic surround needs to sit. which in turn sinks the lifter too far in, causing it to touch when you lift....

Yes car has been sprayed and it was a prick to get the pins in compared to my car and i think youve solved the dilema its the paint as the car was recently resprayed and i rekon its too thick as the handles as you say dont sit flush they are slightly recessed . what can you do to fix as trying to cut paint away could be rather tricky .Cheers daza

Dagwoodone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSSSV100
the handles were marked and the push rods were left on so they couldnt get mixed the outer shell is easy to match however the backing plates look to be all the same but wernt matched

Harleycaveman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN wagon
Hey guys my Handel broke off an first time putting a new Handel in a VN can someone tell me step by step how to replace it. I've already got the interior off

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Can't give you step by step except to say if you look inside the door to the back of the handle, you will most likely see 2 bolts or nuts which you will undo, and probably a rod which has a metal clip on the end.
The clip pushes off the rod first, then the rod comes, out of the hole.
Take a pic with your phone first so replacement is simple.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
the clip that holds the door on is the one in the pic. grab it with a hook tool and slip a flathead screw driver on that looped end and force it sideways, it will pop off. the lifting portion of the handle you can push back inside the door from the outside of the car. the rectangular handle frame can be pried out form the outside of the door. then the handle part that you pushed inside the door you can slip out from the outside of the door hole.
s-l300.jpg