Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Engine Diagram?

V

Veneficus

I have a V6, VN commodore vacationer. I have been told that I need to replace the thermostat and head gasket. I have got myself a Haynes and just want something ( some diagrams of the engine) to back up what’s in the Haynes. This is my first crack at doing this kind of work on a car, I normally work on bikes. Any help is appreciated.

Indy_387

Reaction score
Was Vacationer a series 1 or 2 build? If it is series 1 the thermostat is damn hard to get out, let alone replace!

Coopsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Series 1 VN's will have their thermo at the back of the engine, right behind/underneath the throttle body, and is an utter bitch to get out.

Series 2 VN's have theirs located at the front, much easier. To see this, just follow the top radiator hose, and wherever it finishes is where the thermo is located

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Hey, I'm about to buy a vacatioer as well - mainly choosing it because its in the family, in perfect cond., and at a good price. What makes it different to stanadard?

V

Veneficus

knowing my luck, its a series 1, ill have to check tomorow.

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
what are you guys talking about. Ive got a serious 1 vn and i changed the thermostat myself. its not that hard to remove the throttlebody you know. It took me 1 hour and i was all done. That included cleaning the trottlebody. and im 18 with very little mechanic experience.

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Hey VNPOWER, did you see any wiring while you were back there? I'm still curious about that coolant temp sensor of yours, it is probably up the back there near your thermostat. Somewhere on top of the engine I would think, a single stubby thing about the size of the end of your thumb with a wire coming out the top of it.

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
hey yeah, i found it. It turned out it was ok. On series 1 buicks its behind the engine near the mat sensor and coolent temp sender.

V

Veneficus

are there any known diagrams indicating different parts fo the engine, im a novice when it comes to cars ( well ones like this anyway). i feel like an idiot asking.

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
what parts do u need to know ?