Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Odometer

mechanic22

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN 3.8 A4 and 98 VT 5.0 A4
I am just wodering if anyone knows what are the possible causes for the odometer not working in my VN. The speedo works fine but the odometer and trip meter are not working! I am sure that all the wiring is fine but any hints before I pull the dash etc out would be appreciated.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It's simply stripped cogs, being made of plastic they become brittle and worn from both age and people resetting the odo whilst moving.

With the instrument cluster apart, remove the odometer paying attention to the right hand side where the cogs lie. You 'should' have a grey and cream colored one from memory. The rest is straight forward visually, just remember how you took it apart and your laughing :p

There's a few threads about this already so have a search if you need more detailed info on disassembly of the cluster etc.

Cogs themselves are dirt cheap if you can find a Holden dealer who will sell them to you, my local wouldn't sell to anyone other than an instrument fitter but others here have mentioned getting them at their dealers.

G'luck, it's an easy job once you get into it.

mechanic22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps! I'll give it a go, the worst that can happen is I buy a new one from a wreckers.......

:rofl:

mechanic22

Reaction score
Members Ride
All Good

I found the culprit!!!!! Isn't it amazing how much trouble one little plastic gear can make!

Thanks again to OSL-060 for your help! :D

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
No worries, hopefully you have more luck than I did chasing one up. If you do manage to get one from Holden share the part # with us.

;)

mechanic22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found One!!!!!

FYI

I found a place that stocks the small gear for commodore speedos. His name is Jim at MT Louisa Auto Wreckers in Townsville. The gear cost me $10 ( poss a little steep, but it beats buying a new speedo or a second cluster!). He gets them from Sydney but would not give up who (fair enough). I am going to get hold of the VDO instrument repair person in Townsville and try to get a part number/supplier!
:D