Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Or Vy !!!

VY or VN

• Total voters

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Well, if you want a car you modify to your liking, then go the VN Calais or, whatever model you like thats going to leave you some decent change to play with.

If you go the VY, with 11 grand, you'll most likely only get a base model executive, or if your lucky a VY Berlina.

It's your choice as to what you want in the end, but remember, just because the VY is 15 odd years newer than the VN, doesn't mean it's going to have less problems. My VN has less km's than my boyfriends VT. And still runs like a dream. :)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I agree with Mr_Slim.

Look around for a VS. You can buy a nice manual 5L VS for under 11 grand, and still have money for mods and repairs to get it humming beautifully. And in my opinion VS's are probally one of the best Commodores made and are good bang for buck nowadays.

Hell you could even go a VR/VS Clubby.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
VY mate, hands down, handle better, the ecotec engine is a LOT better than the old buick, and it will look a LOT better. otherwise for that price u could get a good VX? or something in the middle?

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
VY. Look 10x better then a VN, and 3x more reliable.

GCVT97

UnDeR CoNsTrUcTioN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
hmmmm, vy-vn, I agree with alot of the comments others have made, although, vy6cyl, still only an ecotec, just as old as the 3.8v6 in the vn, vy body shape-debateable, you can get an awesome vn with kit an extras for that money. All the elecs of the calais-much better than the executive vy, Age, well, the older they are the beter the get, for the parts for a vn are common and a hole lot cheaper than vy. Depreciation/Value, Pay 15k+ for vy, it'll be worth 10k in 2 years, Pay 5-8k for immaculate vn, it'll hold it's value. It all depends on personal preferences for there are so many factors. :)

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
hmm vs ute 5sp 5.0l mmm lol

just to be different...and u wont need to worry bout depreciation utes dont lose much value :thumbsup: and they look SIK!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The easy answer to this poll is neither :) Get a VS manual 5 litre, best Commodore been made to date so far hands down I'd even take one over a VE

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
The easy answer to this poll is neither :) Get a VS manual 5 litre, best Commodore been made to date so far hands down I'd even take one over a VE

i agree 100% that is an awesome car

i wish converting to manual wasn't so expensive... i would love a VS Calais V8 with manual gearbox, preferably the 6pd from the VT if that would fit, otherwise the 5 would be fine :)

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
hmmmm, vy-vn, I agree with alot of the comments others have made, although, vy6cyl, still only an ecotec, just as old as the 3.8v6 in the vn,

only is heaps more reliable, less fuel burn and isnt guaranteed to throw a cam or harmonic balancer bearing at some point in its life

BeNoS

PROUDLY ON THE PUSHY
Reaction score
Members Ride
1000hp trek pushie (on a good day)
yeah m8 id be looking for an in the middle car vs vt fairly cheap even for a decent 1 and u will have money left over to spend on mods insurance or wat ever and from personal opinion look better than most other makes of commodores part from mayby vz maloo anyway thats what i would and am currently looking for
other than that look at auctions c what u can find