Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Series 2 - VR Bellmouth

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
Bellmouth is back out .... went for a cruise and my car is back to it's perky old self .... much more fun to drive. Only speaking for my car, there is a big difference to throttle response without bellmouth.... could be due to the tune i have as well.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
the gain from it is next to nothing, its the placebo effect, you think its doing something, i myself proved using a g-tech that it made no difference in or out in a 0-100kmph time. idled rough, leans two cylinders. id say that the gain you are feeling is more'so in conjunction with your cai, on a std intake on a std motor, there is next to no gain.

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
the gain from it is next to nothing, its the placebo effect, you think its doing something, i myself proved using a g-tech that it made no difference in or out in a 0-100kmph time. idled rough, leans two cylinders. id say that the gain you are feeling is more'so in conjunction with your cai, on a std intake on a std motor, there is next to no gain.

I hear what your saying... i have read many threads that say it is a placebo effect and some come from people i've seen have been here a long time, so obviously know what there talking about. All i know is that i took it out... went for a run .... put it back in and went for another run..... the car is defiently different with it out. I know there is no real horsepower gain... but torque and shift points are better. I have done a few things to the car... all i can do now is gonna be the things that cost big bucks..... as for leaning out the cylinders, i was advised be a knowing member that at high revs you lean out the opposing two cylinders...so much of a sameness .... and leaving it out would be the better option. I really think it is the tune i have that makes a difference for my car with a bellmouth out ..... it's not a placebo effect.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
yes, you do lean out two opsing cylinders, alot moreso when the belmouth is out, the ideal thing is to cut it shorter.

what kind of tune are you talking about? a dyno tune, or the 2500-3000rpm reset of the iac?

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
yes, you do lean out two opsing cylinders, alot moreso when the belmouth is out, the ideal thing is to cut it shorter.

what kind of tune are you talking about? a dyno tune, or the 2500-3000rpm reset of the iac?

Was about to modify the bellmouth before putting it back in .... but decided to put it back in as is to check if their was any difference. I have a tune done by Greenfoam.

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Re the guy that said removal of bellmouth caused snapped camshaft. Hard to be sure there is a relationship between the two.
These tend to snap anyway at about 300 000 from fatigue fracture; the replacement is a better design and lasts longer.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i removed mine today, havnt been for a drive yet but the idle is def a bit worse, but it doesnt worry me :)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
in the attached image, see the black bit where the arrow is pointing, if you have that black bit on your engine, you have the bellmouth, if you have a very small black bit (seal) or none then you dont.

bit easier then taking apart the engine to see.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 444