Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn ss lumbe coversion question

lukefairbrother

Reaction score
Members Ride
gq patrol 304 efi
Hey fellas just a couple of questions, I got a Nissan Gq 4x4 with a vn 5L in it, I had a couple of problems I have fixed, but now I have the engine light working it's showing me 2 faults, knock sensor and vss. I fixed the first one by taking the hsv memcal and replacing it with a calais one. I was wondering if the vss one is showing cause the wiring lumbe I'm using might be a from an auto. Do the manual vn ss use a vss? Is there a way to join some wires to trick it to not need it? Also has a problem with idle, no vac leaks, checked all the sensors new pcv valve? Any ideas? Thanksguys

lukefairbrother

Reaction score
Members Ride
gq patrol 304 efi
anyone any ideas??? have i posted in the wrong section?

jdodd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina
both the manual and auto use a speed sensor in to the ecu. don't think there is a way of tricking the ecu as it is looking for a pulsing signal. maybe if you put 12v on terminal a10 (brown/yellow wire) at the ecu it may work???
also there is a way to trick the memcal by putting a resistor in line to ground on the knock sensor circuit that is the same value as the resistor built into a knock sensor. go to a wreckers and grab one to measure the resistance with a multimeter. no idea why it may be running rough, too many things it could be. did you see the engine running before you put it in the gq. it could have valve recession or a vacuum leak. i had a sneaky one where the hose at the pcv hose clamp had cracked but could not see it cause it was under the clamp. also the intake manifold was leaking. but it could be something completely different. i am assuming you are using this in a manual gq. i have found auto memcals don't idle properly when they don't have a torque converter to compensate for so try getting your hands on a manual memcal too. good luck.

lukefairbrother

Reaction score
Members Ride
gq patrol 304 efi
Ok so in reguards to the knock sensor could anyone tell me the resistance I would be looking for? Not able to get hold of a hsv block,
Also with the memcal would anyone have one lying around from a manual I could take off there hands?
Not sure what valve recession is, but the engine runs fine apart from the idle problem

Would any one know if I should be able to feel any difference between a standard memcal and one from a hsv, it feels More powerful down low with the hsv one
Thanks for your reply