Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 alternator wiring splice?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
cheers mate!! the light was not turning on and off while testing the battery, it remained off the whole time, i only noticed it was turning on again tonight (did the work to it yesterday, and over different days through out previous months) noticed it while in the drivethrough, at an idle, no music etc.

I'll give this method a go tomorrow and see what i come up with, and post the results if i cant work it out for myself :) starting to think it will be the wire running back to the dash though, because im fairly certain the regulator i've put in and the alternator are alright, pretty certain the regulator wires back to both of the connecters (by the battery, and the twin under the fusebox) are making solid connections changed them both with heavier guage wire and everything, tested them before fitting and whatnot aswell so i'm sure its not shorting on the engine or anything. just thinking it will be between the connector under the fuse box and the dash somewhere, only place i havent changed wire yet. >.< fun, so eh, i'll have a play, see what i come up with!! cheers mate!! :D

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
another thing, when you replaced the brushes, did you solder them in so they were only just in the hole and the spring was just visible when looking down past the brushes.
did it look like this?
11.jpg

you didn't push the brushes in to far and solder them so they wouldn't extend out far enough to contact the copper rings?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
nah mate i was worried about doing it incorrectly, so i had a good inspection and think about it first, made sure its right :) Cheers though mate! :) about to go suss this wire out now, going back to the dash, to see if i can find anything visually wrong with it, probably replace it anyway, if it doesnt help i'll have to go fetch a test light and whatnot to try what was stated above.

Cheers! :D

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
*sigh* so i think i might have to do this another day, because i if i start, i have to finish, and it looks like it could be a bloody decent job just to do one little wire, so as i assumed, the wire i need to get to is rolled up with almost a full bloody reel of tape, fun. but does anyone know, specificly where the brown wire from the regulator plug ends? i'll assume it goes into my cluster somewhere, had a quick look at the wires that i could see that were going into my cluster, couldn't find it (not that i had a great look) but does anyone know from experience, where this wire goes? if the cluster, which plug am i looking at? but uh, came to mind as i was checking it all out.. (as i couldn't see any damaged wires under the dash, nor could i see how they would get damaged in the big heap they're in and whatnot) anyway, started thinking, could the blown temperature globe in the cluster, and the battery light occasionally flashing on, be an issue with the cluster? the odometer screen is starting to bleed a little, however i didn't think anything of it, but could this be a faulty cluster?? Cheers guys! :D

Edit: Just went and checked my engine earth too, still tight as the day i put it on, can't wiggle it at all. another thing ruled out

So a quick list of what i've changed so far, the wire from the + to starter, + to alternator, regulator to connector to +, regulator to connector under the fusebox, (both from the regulator, have had the wires changed from the plug through to the connectors, the connectors have also been replaced, aswell as the one going to the battery has new cable between battery and connector too), i have also changed - to engine and - to body, all have solid connections. have also changed brushes in alternator.
so this really only leaves the wire from the connecter under my fusebox that runs back to the cluster, the cluster itself?? (just trying to think of everything..) or possibly a fuse somewhere or something?? or, a further problem (somehow with both) alternators..?

Again, thanks alot for the help, appreciate it more then you can imagine! bloody thing's doing my head in a bit. -.- but i guess, everything i change means one more possibility down!! :)

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So, just to confirm, this only happened after you did your rewiring?

And the wire that you originally moved, you tried it the way it was and made no difference?

It has to be something you have missed then.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
uhm, no, the problem was there to begin with... i dont recall moving any wires without putting them back the way they were, there was the alternator splice, which the day i did it a different way, i went back to the splice it originally had and have had it spliced since. there isn't anything that i've missed. the problem was there to begin with, i changed the wires, changed some of the same ones again, including two connecters more recently, and the problem still continues. all of the wiring from the alternator is done correctly, making a good connection, earths are the same, connectors coming from the regulator wires are new and making good connections, i haven't missed anything as i've checked it all over atleast 30 times.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The way your first post reads, it sounds like the problem only started after you moved that spliced wire to the battery.

Have you tried a totally different alternator to what you already have? The chances of two alternators doing the same thing is remote, but not unheard of.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
the problem was there before i moved the spliced wire to the battery, i was changing the cables because of the battery light coming on, and after it still continued to come on i spliced the wire back in.

I have tried two different alternators, but not a third, i'm thinking i'm going to try changing the alternator last, as one of the two i have has only seen a few months of operation since i purchased it from a wreckers, if both of the alternators have issues, i'm not wasting my time, nor money again at a wrecker with an alternator, i'll purchase a new one elsewhere. i might see if i can borrow one from a mate or something, provided i can find someone who is certain their alternator is perfect, and see if that is my problem.

V6 Jeep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore
the problem was there before i moved the spliced wire to the battery, i was changing the cables because of the battery light coming on, and after it still continued to come on i spliced the wire back in.

I have tried two different alternators, but not a third, i'm thinking i'm going to try changing the alternator last, as one of the two i have has only seen a few months of operation since i purchased it from a wreckers, if both of the alternators have issues, i'm not wasting my time, nor money again at a wrecker with an alternator, i'll purchase a new one elsewhere. i might see if i can borrow one from a mate or something, provided i can find someone who is certain their alternator is perfect, and see if that is my problem.
Just thought I would add to this thread . I have had this problem where alternator light is constantly on. I found that the small sense wire had gone open circuit from the battery terminal to the small black connector. This wire is only about 5cm long and looked completely fine but when measuring with a multimeter it was definitely open circuit.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Good input. Thanks Jeep