Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn v6 map sensor need step by step guide to clean

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
I have a vn v6 s1 and I have had a k&n pod filter on it for around 4 or 5 years and I read that the oil can cause problems with idle once oil gets to the mat ..

I have a slight miss on low idle ... I have replaced .. coilpack/dfi , spark plugs and leads .. cleaned throttle body ...ran injector cleaner and new fuel filter etc

can this mat sensor cause a miss at low revs ???

I can say 100% that this map sensor has never been cleaned EVER so I want to clean it and see if it helps..

can someone please show me photos step by step on how to clean it ...
The mat sensor sits just about the coolant temp sensor correct ? well its 20 years old so I guess it needs replacing ... any tips ??
thankyou...

Last edited:

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
I have never cleaned one of those in owning a vp and a vn.
you can clean you MAT sensor but I wouldnt bother with the MAP sensor.

Just make sure the hoses are correct and I beleive if you have a gregories you can test your MAP sensor for resistance or somthing.

cheers
Dan

Last edited:

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Ok so im confused between the map sensor with mat sensor .... so the Mat sensor could cause a very slight miss ?

This is the senosr that sits above the coolant temp sensor .... I should just replace the thing I guess ... how much are they ? just unplug and unscrew by hand then put new on in and reconnect ?

Last edited:

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
yes check if it is fouled though and then clean it and out it back in.
Its kind of hard to pinpoint a slight miss from a forum, it could be faulty leads or plugs too.

Or for that matter any number of things, you will have to do some reading in the manual...

Mainly there are two things that your basic trouble shooting should determine..Fuel Or electrical

I think you will find that there are many of each, so the trick is to first find out if it is a fuel issue or spark issue.

Dan

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The intake temp sensor wont cause a miss

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
My mate who works on skylines for a living told me to replace my ngk sprak plugs again ..

he said I should change them every 12 months no matter what.... he said they use them at the track and throw them away after a days use ...

thanx for the reply greenfoam ... aslong as thats not cauing the miss then I will leave it alone.. new spark plugs again me finks ..

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
Pull the plugs out and have a look at them. All race cars would be replacing plugs after each race. Im sure that you wouldn't be driving your car around in the same fashion that a race car does going around a track.
Matt

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
Pull the plugs out and have a look at them. All race cars would be replacing plugs after each race. Im sure that you wouldn't be driving your car around in the same fashion that a race car does going around a track.
Matt

I agree, if your spark plugs are less than 12 months old, just clean then with some light sandpaper and some wire.

I am sure I have cleaned pluggs older than 12 months many times with good results so go figure...

Take note if they are very black and grimey (fouled)

Cheers

Dan