Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 S1 is stalling at idle

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
you don't start the car to cheack the codes.
Jump the black and white the turn on the key and watch the light flash and c9ount the groups.

P

Pav

the code is 12, but I have had the engine light come on while driving so whats the deal with that?

P.S I've disconnected the battery many times, does this cause the ECU to reset? And if it resets do all those previous faults get deleted, such as the engine light I had when driving a while ago?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
i'm pretty sure taking the battery leads off the car will reset the computer and will leave no error codes, next time the engine light comes on pull over turn the car off get a paperclip into the plug and check the computer dont turn the car on just to acc and the engine fan will come on to and then count the flashes, code 12 means nothing is wrong with it i cant remember what CAS i know 22 is TB Sensor damn it lol

P

Pav

I'm gonna replace the CAS now anyway, can I use CAS from series 2 v6 (VNSII to VR) or does it have to be specially for a series 1 v6?

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
fixed this problem before do you get a big cloud of black smoke when you start it when warm my mates car did the same thing plugged laptop in and it said the coolant temp was at 30 degrees when it was hot and temp would fluctuate up and by heaps. changed sensor still the same. in the end the ecu had died perhaps from welding the exhaust or from jump starting put new ecu in went fine again do you know anyone with another ecu you can try.it also started like normal when cold.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
I'm gonna replace the CAS now anyway, can I use CAS from series 2 v6 (VNSII to VR) or does it have to be specially for a series 1 v6?

pretty sure you need one from a series 1 as teh series 2 are different as teh harmonic balancers are different.....but im not 100% sure

good luck

P

Pav

Ok, bit of an update, the car is still being a prick and it likes to stall at idle after a 10min drive. So far I've done, CAS and Coil-pack.
I also finally got an error code, saying code 13 (oxygen sensor), so what do you guys suggest at this stage to diagnose this cheaply, replace 02 Sensor? (I don't really wanna keep buying parts till it works) BTW This car has no balls at all, my mum's VT could flog it, I dunno if that helps, but yer, cheers

P

Pav

UPDATE again, now the car doesn't want to run at all, I can start pretty much first go, but it idles really rough and doesn't rev nicely and then stalls immediately, doesn't even gimme time to check anything cos it stalls. It even stalled when I revved it to like 3000rpm and just cut off straight away, before it would usually lower the revs and sputter at idle till it died.

So, I'm thinking it may be fuel related? If it isn't, are there any suggestions which sensors would be most likely related to this problem? cheers

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
sounds like taking it to a decent mechanic and paying him to diagnose the problem could be the way to go. then when its diagnosed fix it yourself as you seem pretty handy with a spanner.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Coil pack, CAS, Rip the entire TB off clean it all includeing the IAC, Throw it back together, if that fails, its time for a mechanic. Could also be injecters, FPR etc. But my moneys on a CAS or coil pack.