Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn v6

Wazza c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN s
Want to build a nice n/a v6 for my 1990 vn manual, not sure what way to go. Anybody out there built anything practical and quick?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Depends on budget.

Usual memcal/extractors-exhaust/airbox & shorter diff gears can be done cheap if d.i.y

If you want to go really quick turbo kit or L67 are good value.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
https://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/ROC605

This I plan to get next year, just need MACE CAI first hopefully this year. Like GTR said lower diff gearing. MACE do the best CAI. Pacemaker extractors are probably the best, performance wise. Forget eBay cheapies as the time to fit them you want to do it right the first time. I bought a MACE memcal but there are probably slightly better tunes. But having said that I plan to use other MACE upgrades so their tune suits what my future plans are. Hi voltage coil packs can make some difference. There are MSD but there are others just as good but no where near the price tag. I just don't know the name of them but I believe you order them from the States. @immortality knows where to get the good CP's from.

Last edited:

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Best thing I ever did for my VP V6 was a 5 speed (which you already have) and a 3.7 ratio lsd. Those are the only mods it's really got it's no race car but it's pretty punchy for a V6. Maybe with a good air intake, extractors and a tune it would go even better.

On the other hand if you're going to start spending more than the above I would say forced induction is the way to go. You could spend just as much on an N/A for half the power of a good turbo 6. And those good old Buick steel blocks can take a bit of boost if it's a nice healthy engine.

So yeah I say either do a little and be happy with what you have or if you wanna go all out look at some turbo options.