Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VP Faults

sexy holden chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn commodore s (s1)
Hi all ive just purchaseda 89 vn commodore s its a series 1 and when i start it if i dont have foot on accelerator it dies like its cold now ive only just changed spark plugs...
I asked my dad to help and he took one of spark leads off and it didnt change in noise...(when you take a spark lead off its ment to sound different is it?)
I only paid 500 for car and it had a miss when i bought it but after changing spark plugs and leads to me it dont sound like it has a miss but my dads saying it still does...Apparently it could be vaulves or injectors...SHOULD I DO THE ECU CHECK IF SO HOW?????
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....

dirtracker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I cant open the links. I have a 3.8 VN motor running on only 3 injectors. Does the ecu have a limp home mode that may have caused this? I cant do ecu test as the motor is in a mazda 323 race car with no dash lights etc...

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
SELF TESTING :

There's a diagnostic plug behind the passenger kick panel. White plastic with 6 pins, 4 across the top and 1 each side of the clip. Looking at the plug, short the two on the right (top and bottom). I believe that's a black wire and a white wire with black stripe going into them. (A & B if the plug is labelled).

Code will flash as a flashes for tens, 1.2sec pause, flashes for singles. i.e- 1 flash, 1.2sec pause, 2 flashes would be code 12. IF there's multiple codes there's a 3.2 sec pause between each. This is repeated 3 times.

Battery above 11v, throttle closed, neutral, all acc (fans/lights/etc) off. Oh and sure the check engine light works.

ERROR CODES:
12 - All good
13,44,45 - O2 sensor circuit
14,15 - Coolant temp sensor circuit
21,22 - Throttle position sensor
23,25 - MAT sensor
24 - Vehicle Speed sensor
33,34 - MAP sensor
41 - No crankshaft input sensor
42 - Electronic spark timing
43 - Detonation sensor
51 - MemCal unit
55 - Control unit input circuits

To erase the memory pull the ENG COMP fuse for 10 sec (near the relays). From memory in the '90,'91 and VP that's just ENGINE fuse.

Hope that makes sense and helps folks. Apologies for the shortened version.

EDIT: Here's a dodgy drawing of the connector (looking at the connector side)
VN_DLC.jpg

Last edited:

Trent_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vp 1993
my vp berlina wont start on gas or fuel it wont even flick over to fuel the gas stays on even if the switch is on fuel its had new spark plugs changed the harmonic balancer and crank angle sensor was running before the harmonic balancer was changed and crank angle sensor any ideas????????????????????????

tscic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagone
Hi everyone.

I have a problem of blowing my driving light at random times. the most recent one seemed to coincide with my speakers in my car cracking, i saw my lights flick to highbeam then just cut out. High beam and Parkers still work but no normal driving lights.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Last edited:

timothy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 1999 calais
I have a VP 1992 executive, ivé just found out that the big end is gone.?
I was just wondering if a VN 1988 engine will fit in my VP 1992 commodore..

(example) If the engine mounts,if i have to take off the valley cover.???
PLEASE HELP!!

timothy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 1999 calais
will a vn 1988 wiring fit my vp if i swapped engines

timothy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 1999 calais
Someone please help me out, really need to know if a VN 1988 motor wiring will fit in a VP 1992 commodore.?
Much appreciated if someone help to explain the differences between the motor's and wiring... thank you :)

vp2013

Reaction score
Members Ride
V P Commodore Executive Series II
These links are great to help identify problems you're having with your car or if you're purchasing one of these cars they're some things to look out for.

VN: Click here for faults
VP: Click here for faults

Note: I'm not the author, just bringing his work to everyones attention!

Hey VS Omega ... I Personally FEEL, that if This Forum needs to Remain STICKY, You Need to Fix those Link or Fade ...
Sorry
Dude ... Consider Fix ... or FADE AWAY ... CHEERS ...
P.S ... For ALL VN and VP OWNERS, Please Fix the Links ... THANK You ... and Happy Motoring ... CHEERS ...