Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN VQ VG VP History Thread

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Engine numbers will tell the story. I only know of the GTS and Clubby 5000i's myself.

Reaper

Yep spot on - any one calling a VP senator 5000i a 4 bolt main engine will need to produce a VK prefix to confirm.

If the high output engine was an option then there is no way of nowing how many were made. If the "500" 4 bolters is correct and they made 302 group A's and 180 VP's with them then there is 18 other motors "floating around" in cars.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Heres some more pics for you guys i found of my pc.

Very interesting...I like the Stato grille that that Calais prototype has!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yep spot on - any one calling a VP senator 5000i a 4 bolt main engine will need to produce a VK prefix to confirm.

If the high output engine was an option then there is no way of nowing how many were made. If the "500" 4 bolters is correct and they made 302 group A's and 180 VP's with them then there is 18 other motors "floating around" in cars.

There will be way more than 18 motors "floating around" as a number would have been cast for warranty repairs/replacements and their racing program which requried factory (all be it hand picked) castings at the time. Some may have found their way into cars for the bigwigs with a wink and nod.

Reaper

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just because the VP Senator 5000i could have a 200kw engine over the 180kw - this did not mean it got the 4 bolt mains VK prefix engine. I think the VP GTS was rated at 200kws but had the VK prefix.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just because the VP Senator 5000i could have a 200kw engine over the 180kw - this did not mean it got the 4 bolt mains VK prefix engine. I think the VP GTS was rated at 200kws but had the VK prefix.

There were many models with 200kw motors however most only had 2 bolt mains. The **only** reason the VN Group A got them was to homologate them for racing. Even with 2 bolt mains the motors were very reliable in stock/mild street trim. IIRC most of the stroker guys say not to bother going 4 bolt unless you are spinning over 6500 rpm with a highly modified engine (ake race application).

Reaper

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
There will be way more than 18 motors "floating around" as a number would have been cast for warranty repairs/replacements and their racing program which requried factory (all be it hand picked) castings at the time. Some may have found their way into cars for the bigwigs with a wink and nod.

Reaper

If the 500 engines was the number made then there would be a "minimum" of 18 left over for other cars as an optional fit. And yes some statesmans got VK prefix engines - but I have no proof of this as yet. I'll keep looking for them for when they get wrecked.

Did a 4 bolt mains block have to have a 4 bolt mains cap fitted? or could it have a std unit?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
If the 500 engines was the number made then there would be a "minimum" of 18 left over for other cars as an optional fit. And yes some statesmans got VK prefix engines - but I have no proof of this as yet. I'll keep looking for them for when they get wrecked.

Did a 4 bolt mains block have to have a 4 bolt mains cap fitted? or could it have a std unit?

I couldn't imagine why they would remove the main cap and put a 2 bolt one there. Reference pic of my VK motor that is about to get a freshen up.

DSC00236.jpg

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I couldn't imagine why they would remove the main cap and put a 2 bolt one there. Reference pic of my VK motor that is about to get a freshen up.

DSC00236.jpg

Great photos of the 4 bolts:thumbsup:

So the block and caps went together as a unit - as in they would not have used the spare blocks with 2 bolt caps and stamped them as SVU or CVU to use in the Statesman and Caprices. The 4 bolt main castings would have to have been used for the VK prefix and nothing else. Just crossed my mind and I've not had one to play with :) - as you have.

The last V8 motor I got to play with was my VB 253..... Long time ago...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
For those of you curious about the VQ front end on the Calais prototypes, here's the car they were based on:

Vauxhallsenator.jpg

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
For those of you curious about the VQ front end on the Calais prototypes, here's the car they were based on:

Vauxhallsenator.jpg

Is that a "VQ International" style boot lip I see in that photo