Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Volt meter wiring help

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It's oh so handy to have a manual in front of you.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I will need to get me a manual.. Autobarn or super crap will have 1 yer?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Just done the volts now.. The bloody instructions said the red to 12v and yellow to acc well its the other way around.. Black is earth as usual.. Thanks heaps to everyone that helped me hear..

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Just throwing it out there, the closer you can get to the main ignition harness the more accurate your reading will be. Your phone connector has probably been through several relay's and switches before it terminates at the plug. Each switch and plug having a potential voltage loss across them. The main ignition harness has one switch.... the ignoring barrel. Virtually nil voltage loss.

Not saying what you have done is wrong, not at all... just could be more a bit moreaccurate if you wanted it to be.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think the voltage gauge needs to be 100% accurate. At the end of the day it's only a guide to see that the electrical system is operating ok at a glance. For proper testing you need a multi-meter.

I'm still pissed that later model cars don't have these simple gauges in the dash, my VH has voltage gauge as standard equipment.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You can sometimes see about a volt difference which can mask an overvoltage problem. Thats reason why I brought it up. Nothing else, and you're probably right, doesn't need to be. But if your going to the extent, may as well.

As for newer cars not having a voltmeter.... can you imagine the amount of calls the service department would get?
"My car says it's got 14.4Volts, there something wrong with it"

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
I'd say the reason they got rid of them I newer cars is cos no one needs them. Who really needs to know what voltage your car is running at? If the alternator isn't charging the battery light will come on.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I'd say the reason they got rid of them I newer cars is cos no one needs them. Who really needs to know what voltage your car is running at? If the alternator isn't charging the battery light will come on.

Are you sure?..........

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You can sometimes see about a volt difference which can mask an overvoltage problem. Thats reason why I brought it up. Nothing else, and you're probably right, doesn't need to be. But if your going to the extent, may as well.

As for newer cars not having a voltmeter.... can you imagine the amount of calls the service department would get?
"My car says it's got 14.4Volts, there something wrong with it"

I guess that means people need to read the owners manual which should tell you what to expect. With modern cars with these user interfaces it should be easy to get a voltage reading, it would also be able to say if the system voltage was within acceptable range.

Not true, a alternator can get tired and still provide enough voltage to prevent the battery light to come on yet not produce enough voltage to keep every running at peak performance.