Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 304 Rebuild Advice

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden HG Prem / VP commo
The compression looks a bit low, almost boost specs. but if your not going to ever run boost Id be leaning towards the flat top pistons if you can get your hands on a set.

Also, your block isn't factory cleared for a stroker crank, so it will need to be notched out so your conrod cap bolts don't hit the center of the block but its not a big job, anyone can do it even a first timer or you could just buy a VS 304 block as they are cleared for the stroker kit.

Also depending on how hard you want to rev this engine will determine weather or not you should get the rotating assembly balanced, personally I would but I know plenty of people who haven't.

I cant see why you would need to bore the block,unless its pitted from rust but, if its just got a bit of surface rust then give it a quick hone yourself and try to keep the virgin bore specs. You can buy honing tools pretty much anywhere and just look up some vids on YouTube to see how its done.

Also, I cant see a gasket kit that comes with the link you supplied, so there's another $350+...

Have you had a look on ebay for stroker kits? There are some nice kits on there but also some dodgy ones, look at the feed back to get an idea if the kit is good or not, if they are ****, people will let you know.

Awesome info runner, I've been watching a few videos on machining and rebuilding. The notching will be pretty easy. As for balancing, I will defiantly get it balanced.

The car did have flood water stored in it for some time although i did have it soaked in litres of WD40 to separate the water from metal, rust is visible in some places. Im quite certain that it is just surface rust, so I'll just hone it myself. That website offers Flat top as well but with the same compression so ill look around for some more. What ratio should i be looking at?

The engine ran super smooth and perfect prior to the floods, do i not need to worry about getting it machined properly, because i watched this video and it seems theres a lot more involved than just cleaning it out and honing? - How-To Machine a Chevy 350 Small Block Engine (Machine Shop) - YouTube

thanks again

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
The compression ratio they offer is good right across the board but if your going to build a stroker engine, one can oly assume you want decent power and a 12:1 compression ratio is what id be chasing.

It has its ups and downs, 12:1. is the limit for pump fuel, If you are going to bump to race gas go to at least 13.5:1. but there goes your budget coz you will need some serious head work ;)

In respect to HP gains, the rule of thumb is 2% per point.

If I were you, id ditch the stroker idea and stick with a reputable engine parts kit that offers a virgin bore kit. If you really wanted extra power, go for forged internals and save up some coin after its fitted and throw a turbo on at a later date.

If you already have decent internals and wanted a turbo thrown on the engine then pretty much the only thing you will need as far as engine mods (if any) would be to buy a set of copper head gaskets, these are fairly thick and will raise the heads up from the deck and give you more space between the top of the pistons and the valves (lower compression) for the forced air and fuel mixture to combust.

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, well ive been reading around and apparently a 10.5 compression is pretty good,
The engine will be for a HG, the car will be a once a week driver, mainly highway and muck around in every now and then.
Gas is not what I want and I defiantly don't want to put a turbo on it.
I simply want to build the bottom end so its reliable and go from there at a later date.

How about this Kit with 30 tho bore? - 355 HOLDEN STROKER KIT CAST CRANK SCAT | eBay

The existing internals I have all need replacing hence rebuilding with a stroker kit.

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, it will proabably be a 10 thou bore, possible 20

Just spoke to someone who will machine the block for me and install cam bearings for cheap as ****.

Im now struggling with the stroker kit, Im finding ones but than realising they are too good to be true, I want a Scat 355 Stroker kit, and apparently the goods ones are 2400 or so. I was told if i find ones that are 1800 or less than it will be crap?

Let me know thoughts or hit me a link?

Also, difference between steel and cast? should i be steering clear of cast, cause thats the only reason there are rebuild kits that are less than 1700 otherwise 2400 for a real scat full stroker kit (steel).?????

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If you want my advice, forget about stroking it and just get the bottom end recoed with flat tops and a cam within your budget but what would I know, I only play with these things.

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want my advice, forget about stroking it and just get the bottom end recoed with flat tops and a cam within your budget but what would I know, I only play with these things.

Cmon mate, my first comment was wrong and i apologised.

Do you think i should not use a cast crank? What are your thoughts on these in regards to how im going to use the engine??
Im struggling to find what is a good kit as there are so many different combinations and variations out there which i cant analyse. Please get back to me about this! and...

Now that you and someone else have said that I am thinking it now. Problem is I have no idea about specs and whats good when it comes to pistons conrods etc.

My original crank is in pretty mint condition, Is there anything you could suggest I research and check out?

I have read several threads about different cast kits for under 2g, everyone just contradicts each other and cant make sense of it.

Thanks again!

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride

Cmon mate, my first comment was wrong and i apologised.

Do you think i should not use a cast crank? What are your thoughts on these in regards to how im going to use the engine??
Im struggling to find what is a good kit as there are so many different combinations and variations out there which i cant analyse. Please get back to me about this! and...

Now that you and someone else have said that I am thinking it now. Problem is I have no idea about specs and whats good when it comes to pistons conrods etc.

My original crank is in pretty mint condition, Is there anything you could suggest I research and check out?

I have read several threads about different cast kits for under 2g, everyone just contradicts each other and cant make sense of it.

Thanks again!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Ok apology accepted.

1. strip your bottom end.
2. take to engine builder, ask him to clean everything and then inspect it.
3. if all is good, order new bearings and flat top pistons. Get him to fit the pistons to your rods, machine block to zero deck height to suit the pistons and fit the cam bearings.
4. take it all home and assemble with cam of your choice and 40th thick (compressed) head gasket.
5. if you need an expanded explanation then but a holden engine building manual.