Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp Commodore Radio Power Antenna

Abe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
The antenna (electric) goes up as the radio is turned on, then after a minute to a couple of hours it automatically goes down. All connections are clean and the earth is attached. Its a VP commodore V6 12/1992

Any ideas anyone??

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Hey Abe, welcome to Justcommodores!

Power arial problems hey? Haven't had too many problems with mine, but here's some pointers.

Possibly the headunit is causing the problem? Does the radio sound fine when the arial is up?

Or maybe the power arial wiring loom is stuffed, behind the buttons on the dash surroundings?

Cheers,
Paul.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have had the exact same problem with my car. The fault was in a resistor on the printed circuit board in the head unit that went open circuit after a minute or so.
When you switch the radio on a voltage sent from the radio to the control box of the power antenna telling it to extend and stays there for as long as the radio is switched on and key is on .The resistor is in series with the power antenna feed on the printed circuit board in the head unit.
I took the tin covers off the radio and traced back fom the wiring pin at the back that goes to the power antenna control box and found this small resistor to be faulty.
I replaced it and the fault didn't re-occur.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
Abe, welcome to justcommodores, i hope you get valuable info from this site. you have posted this in the wrong section of the forum. this is for feedback problems with the site, nothere audio or car's. there is a vp forum it can be found by clicking

i will be moving this post. in future please find the correct place to put the post

cheers
administion team

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
You're a hard marker Garth ..sort of a cross boundary thing....I didn't think it looked out of place.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Hi I have scanned the printed circuit board and have desiginated where the resistor should be.
In this case it is taken it out to fix my radio but you can see where it was.The terminal is actually desiginated AUTO ANT
I am not sure what the value of the resistor is but you should be able to work it out from the colour codes on it.
Hope this helps

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Thanks Mark, Thats all I need.

Abe

Jimbo

Reaction score
I'd bet on the power ant module that lives up above the passenger kick panel, sort of above the ECU. Swap with a mates one and see if ther problem goes away.

I used to get the same in my VN. Would sometimes stay up, but most times would come down. It would also respond to the up/down buttons, but again when left alone it would come down.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I'd say that you could stick a meter reading volts on the wire at the contol box that feeds the 12v from the radio for it to extend......if you are lucky enough to have it on when it fails and the 12v suddenly disappears when the aerial in deciding to come down it is the head unit but if it is present the fault is in the is in the control box.

CLE

Reaction score
How exactly do you locate the antenna when trying to fix it? What do you have to remove?