Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Has No Accellaration

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Hi Guys,

I've been having this problem with my VP Exec mainly since it turned winter.

Here we go: I start the car up and let it warm for about 15 minutes (this can be at any time during the day) I then stick it in drive and try and accellerate up the road, she takes off but very slowly and then all she does is revs really high and hardly moves anywhere and will take ages for it to change gears!!!

I tried putting it up my driveway the other night and she just barely made it up, my driveway is not steep by the way.

Basically it has no power, but eventually comes right after about 15mins driving.

Then theres my VP Calais. Turn the motor over and drop it in gear and it takes off like a rocket! No warming required.

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this ?

Thank Guys :thumbsup:,

Glen

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
auto low on oil or worn out bands and clutches in auto or stuffed torque converter maybe

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
I was thing it could be the box, has plenty of oil though mate. I don't know much about auto's. Are any of those parts expensive/or hard to put in ?

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
have you checked the oil with the engine running in park like you are meant too.if its youre first time pulling an auto too bits leave it too the professionals.

Micka_001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ss
Check the auto fluid see if its black or smelly from what it sounds like the frictions and the band could be stuffed, it could be a fuel pump or pressure reg as well but if it was it would do it all the time

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Yeah the oils good. checked while running in park. Never touched an auto before. I've spoken to a couple of other people and they say that it is most likely the torque converter.

Anyone here ever changed one before ? Got any tips ?

caekmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR ACCLAIM
You have probly tried this, but is your air filter clean and not blocked? if the engine isnt getting enough air, it can do this

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Air filter is good. Only had the car about 3 month's and have not changed the leads or plugs yet so maybe worth ago. I have adjusted the plug gap recently but somtimes she can hesitate to fire up. I know that it should be more responsive when starting than what it is.