Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP HI Flow Cat

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
Hey,
I hav an after market 2 and 1/2 inch sports exhaust with 2 and 1/2 inch extractors on my VP. Just wondering if its worth purchasing a Hi flow Cat for the exhaust..? does it increase power? or change the sound of the exhaust.?
Hi flot cat i was looking at was around $160....if thats a good price or not...?
thanks

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Alot of people with good setups use two stock ones, it would cost you in getting the pipes made to fit it and you might have to weld some kind of heat sheild on the second cat so it doesn't cook the floor but should take any restriction out of the front half of your system and help silence your car a bit too (good for stealth high rpms : ))

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
so a high flow cat with quieten the noise from the exhaust?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No but two stock ones will : ), just a bit, like having two sets of mufflers on a dual system, I can't see a $160 high performance one flowing near as well as two stockies but I could be wrong

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok, the stock ones are 2.5 inches in the core but 2 inches inlet and outlet I think, this one might be 3 inches all the way?. So I suppose if it's any good it should flow heaps more than a stock one, but does two 2 inch pipes with 2.5 inch cores outflow one 3 inch, that is your question and what's going to cost more

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
almost right. the stock cats do flow quiet well surprisingly and a dual cat setup would be your best option. but more expensive. a high flow cat has a 2 1/2 inch core where as a stock one has a 2 1/4 inch core.
and if u think about it, having 2 1/2 into 2 1/4 bak in 2 1/2 just doesnt seem right so go for the high flow, aslong as you have enough mufflers to create some sort of back pressure