Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP to VS Dash Conversion Wiring Help

cracker

Reaction score
i did mine terrible idea, spent about 2days sitting in the front seat with a multimeter and bunch of switches/solder heat shrink and tape

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Just by reading this thread I have to commend the lot of you for getting yourselves into such a hard project and making the progress you have, makes me think it'd be easier to get a VR and change the front end so it looks like a VN/VP lol

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a new Commodore
i did mine terrible idea, spent about 2days sitting in the front seat with a multimeter and bunch of switches/solder heat shrink and tape

Any ideas on my above problems?

cracker

Reaction score
not being funny, but get a multi meter the vr dash loom and sit there and nut it out, its all pratical, just need to find what becomes active when you do what, i cant remba alot did it about 10months ago, just a big night mare, but its do able!

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the idea, but that would drive me nuts. Besides I have no idea how to read a multimeter. Thought it would be easier for someone who had done it before to have a look at their wiring and tell me what goes where.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
For the interior light to work go to the lefthand switchblock connector and join one of the white/green wires (there are 2 of them)to the white wire in the same connector and the door switch should bring the interior light on.

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. As soon as the wife gets back with the car I'll try that.

Awesome! That worked perfectly.

Any idea on the instrument illumination?

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
For the instrument illumination when you switch the lights on 12v is supplied from the light switch on the brown wire on the 4 lug connector that used to go on the r/h headlight switch at the switchblock.The brown wire supplies 12v+ to fuse 16 ..through the fuse then back on a brown/white wire to inst connector 2-3 to the inst lamps in the cluster ...then through the lamp filament and on the other side of the lamp on inst 2-1 and 2-2 to earth on a grey wire.They put a resistor in series in this wire to earth to dim them and short this resistor out via the switch on the switchblock out to get full brilliance.To get your lights going the you need to put a permanent negative on this grey wire.......you will have to join the grey wire to the black in the 6 pin plug that used to go to the r/h switcblock and then work out how to supply 12v+ to the cluster from the new light switch when you switch the lights on on the brown wire ........Im not sure how you have wired up the vs headlight switch or the cluster lamps so give me some info on that and we might be able to work something out. On a vs cluster for the cluster lights the 12v+ is supplied to the lamps on inst conn 2-4 (brown/white wire) and the negative for the lamps on 2-5 and 3-5 (grey wires)

Last edited:

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Before you start laughing at my wiring technique I thought it best to show with pics what I have done with the right hand side switch block wires.

This is the connector that used to connect to the top switch on the old vp switch block.
aewej5.jpg

It has a grey and black wire that for some reason have been joined just before the connector. (this was done before I bought the car). Is the grey wire here the one you are mentioning? If so should it be connected to this black wire or the other black wire shown below?
2lo6cxt.jpg

This is the old vp light switch connector which now has a black wire doing nothing. (Is this the wire that should be connected to the grey wire in the above pic?).
j956vl.jpg

This is how I have my lights wired up at the moment. The only action on the lights that work right now is the full lights. The parkers do not function. That is fine with me at the moment though.
oupbtj.jpg

If you are unsure of the colors of some of the wires let me know and I will write them out for you. Thanks again for your help.