Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP v6 wont start

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
hi just wondering what are some common reasons for these not to start, my gf's vp wagon has broken down, called RAA and all he did was tell me try to turn it over, he listened to it, and goes i reckon its a crank angle sensor and left, he didnt even give a ****, i was really disgusted in his attitude, anyways, its getting towed home later tonight by them so was wondering what i should look at when it gets here, any ideas, it may very well be the sensor but i want to know if its anything else, as he didnt even look at anything

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok car is home now, ive noticed engine fuse under bonnet is blown, so i had a look around for any obvious reasons as to why its blown and couldnt see any so thought what the heck just replace the fuse so i did, soon as i turned key over it blew it instantly, any common reason to this?

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
if it was me i would use a mulit meter - only way if you want a chance,,,,,,

from anything positive carrying cable (red) check to ground/earth/neutral what ever you want to call it generally any part of the body of the car or best still the negative of the battery....

any cable that is grounded or another words worn threw to the body of the car, theres your problem....

look where red cables go threw fire walls or where they rub......

Or pull all fuses out of the car - put main fuse back in - if that blows - that tells you something

if it doesnt blow - start putting in fuse by fuse and wait till one blows, theres your problem

smell for electrical smells and or burn marks

this would be my angle of attack..... best of luck:hmmm:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Try swaping the EFI relay with another relay thats the same,like the horn relay,once the relay has been swapped,then replace the fuse again,and then see if it blows when the key is turned on..Ive seen this relay cause this problem before,so its worth checking it out..The EFI relay is under the bonnet in the fuse box.

Last edited:

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try swaping the EFI relay with another relay thats the same,like the horn relay,once the relay has been swapped,then replace the fuse again,and then see if it blows when the key is turned on..Ive seen this relay cause this problem before,so its worth checking it out..The EFI relay is under the bonnet in the fuse box.

this worked, thankyou, and now RAA are hounding me for a $30 towing fee, i wont be paying, you join RAA because basically no matter what they will get you going again and towing being a last result, now something simple like a relay, a RAA tech should be able to work that out imo, he just wasnt interested at all, thanks guys

jim hann

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vp v6 ute
this worked, thankyou you, and now RAA are hounding me for a $30 towing fee, I won't be paying, you join RAA because basically no matter what they will get you going again and towing is the last result, now something simple like a relay, an RAA tech should be able to work that out IMO, he just wasn't interested at all, thanks guys
The raa can't get my VP ute started, so they just put it on a tow truck, twice, it's easier for them than to fix it on side of the road.

James7650

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
I have a similar issue with my vs I took the efi relay out turned the key and it didn’t blow the 20amp engine fuse I replaced it with the horn relay and it blew the engine fuse any ideas?