Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0L Code 22 Recurring

D

Dean1985

Thanks for the tips guys.

Just wondering, where are all the earth points on a VR 5L. I dont remember any to the block.

I have two from the alternator bracket to the chassis. A big one from the battery to the body.

I did more tests last night and found something VERY interesting.

Battery voltage when running was 12.7v. I mived the wires going to the voltage reg and received 14.7 at idle.
Im thinking its quite possible the alternator was giving out no charge due to no reg signal and then the ecu is receiving low voltage causing a host of errors and low voltage to V return sensitive sensors?

Should i earth my radiator to battery? Last night it had no reading (radiator to battery earth via multimeter, whereas the other night it did).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. Don't earth the radiator as that will cause electrolysis. Fix the earth point on the block/chassis and battery.

The main earth is connected somewhere low on the block, possibly on one of the engine mounts. I remember mine been covered in oil but I can't remember where. Mine is now on the block using a spare boss behind the PS pump.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Iirc neg terminal to driver's side head stud,also small cable off neg terminal to stud on inner guard..it usually needs good clean up or extral earth doesn't hurt.

Alternator has braided earth from case to inner guard..good idea to scrape clean if painted/chrome.Some believe should also do it where it mates up in alternator bracket.

Then there is basically 1 long linked earth on engine harness with multiple joins from alt bracket bolt up tps/iac along intake to back of passenger head links o2 & maf sensor etc eventually goes through firewall to ecu.

Most of ny cars had battery in boot so added earths from say engine mount bolt through crossmember to bolt through engine block & bracket.

Also liked to add earths to bellhousing bolt or trans mount chassis rail...no real reason other than seeing newer cars with it & if I could do it while keeping it all neat or hidden in engine bay I'd do it.

Rubber mounts on radiator are there to stop it from being earthed out & corroding etc

It will run nicer/smoother when charging system has full voltage not 100% it's causing faults it probably just makes issues more pronounced.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The attachment below from the Holden VS Service Manual may be of assistance to you (even though it's heavily Tech1 oriented).

Attachments

• VR-VS DTC 22 V8 PCM.pdf
    224 KB · Views: 180
D

Dean1985

Thanks for that gtrboyy. I spent time tonight fixing connectors and earths etc. I moved the main earth from front of head to the engine mount thinking thats where it was meant to be. ill put it back tomorrow. Im hopeful having a constant charge will fix my issue. Afterall "low voltage" from tps could mean its not getting 5v reference when the battery voltage drops too.

I guess, tomorrow. We shall see!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The 5v reference voltage comes from the PCM and shouldn't really fluctuate with the changes in alternator output.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
21 Throttle pos sensor above 2.5 volts for 2 seconds when engine speed
below 1600 rpm. indicates a problem with the TPS sensor, or an open
in TPS circuit. Check for a sticking or misadjusted TPS.
22 Throttle pos sensor below .2 volt for 2 seconds while engine running.
indicates a defective or maladjusted TPS sensor, a short to ground or
open in TPS Signal or TPS +5v reference. Check TC 21 for correct
operation.

D

Dean1985

Hey guys. Thanks for being patient. Ended up with a brand new Bosch alternator (standard amperage).
No more charge light.

First start however the tps warning come back.

In short i have played with harness. Had the ecu out and check it over (out of its case). Had the multimetrr plugged in as i played with wiring etc to see a drop or rise in return voltage to ecu. Stayed stable at .3 or .4 volts.

I ran the car until the engine light came on and backprobed the return cable to the ecu and seen .4v steady and the engine light would go out.

When i unplug the multi, the light would come on. When i plug the multi back in. The light goes of. When i unplug the multi the light comes on.... repeat.

I pulled the plug apart and the connector is fine. Crimp is fine.

I tried just wiggling the wires to achieve the same result - nothing.

And elecsperts out there (im coining the word elecspert btw).

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Just turn the idle screw in half a turn

D

Dean1985

To fix the sensor read?

When the issue happens i have seen when the sensor doesnt read untilvjust under half throttle. Then it begins to climb.