Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Auto - Manual Engine - any differencies?

Machineage

Reaction score
Hey

Can anyone enlighten me on the differencies if any between the manual and auto engines in a VR? I've been offered a rebuilt auto engine - but have a manual in my vehicle. I know the starter motors are different - but is there anything else that would cause a problem fitting it in place of the manual engine?

Cheers!

C.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
well if (and im guessing this is what you want to do) you want to put a currently auto engine in your manual car, all that needs to be changed is the STARTER MOTOR. Then you just needa fit the gearbox onto it and thats pretty much it mate. Cake as cake.

Machineage

Reaction score
well if (and im guessing this is what you want to do) you want to put a currently auto engine in your manual car, all that needs to be changed is the STARTER MOTOR. Then you just needa fit the gearbox onto it and thats pretty much it mate. Cake as cake.

Thanks!

Should have pointed out it's a V6.

May well go for it :)

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
a vr auto has a cam angle sensor where as the manual doesnt.

im unsure if the actual sensor is still there on a manual motor. but i know from the ecu side of things the auto uses one but the manual does not.

this is ultimately not needed for the car to run etc.
but you may get fault codes and need to get a tuned memcal to get rid of your check engine light

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
haydz, the engine itself will be going in to the alredy manual setup, so the computer wont need to be changed he'l be all good

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
yea the manual engine has the cam angle sensor too... it just isnt plugged into anything..
you'll need to put a spigot bush in the crankshaft for the input shaft of the gearbox to sit in.. the auto engine wont have that in there.. and the bracket on the bottom of the engine that the gearbox bolts to you will have to take this off the old engine and put it on the new one.