Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr blowing excessive black smoke

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Try holding the pedal flat to the floor, it maybe flooded.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
Sounds like they may have set you up... Open the Air box & see if they shoved a few rags in front of your air filter.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Disconnected MAP hose will cause the signal voltage to go way up (atmospheric pressure), telling the ECU that the throttle is wide open hence the black smoke and excessive fuel consumption.
This usually fouls the plugs.
You could try removing them and cleaning them (sand the gap them wash with carb cleaner) but replacement is better. You may be lucky and get it started but usually any attempt ends up with a hot starter motor and a dead battery.

FYI
There is no way that blowing black smoke could be an oxygen sensor, on any car. If the sensor fails the ECU just runs in open loop as when the engine is warming up.

dmentd_diva

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Disconnected MAP hose will cause the signal voltage to go way up (atmospheric pressure), telling the ECU that the throttle is wide open hence the black smoke and excessive fuel consumption.
This usually fouls the plugs.
You could try removing them and cleaning them (sand the gap them wash with carb cleaner) but replacement is better. You may be lucky and get it started but usually any attempt ends up with a hot starter motor and a dead battery.

FYI
There is no way that blowing black smoke could be an oxygen sensor, on any car. If the sensor fails the ECU just runs in open loop as when the engine is warming up.

I had a mate come over and look at it and he says the same thing, he showed me how to check them so I'll go through them all tomorrow morn, I'm out of daylight now.. it's definately not starting, I even tried the flat to the floor because i thought I may have flooded it but still nothing. I believe whole heartedly that they set me up.. that's why I never usually use mechanics. They see a chick walk through the door and think they can walk all over me.. thanks heaps for your help I will update tomorrow once I have checked the injectors :)

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
FYI

So Holden's service publications would be wrong then?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
it's definately not starting, I even tried the flat to the floor because i thought I may have flooded it but still nothing.

The plugs may have fouled from running so rich, if you can't clean them just replace them.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
taken from the other thread that vr38 was referring to.......

hey everyone this is my first post on this site..
having problems with my 1989 VN Commodore it starts but idles bad, its running on all 6 and when i put it in another gear like drive or reverse it almost stalls and sounds like its thirsty for petrol this only happened after i tried cranking the engine over without much fuel in it, i understand the fuel pump can stuff up doing that, but after putting petrol in it it still starts fine ? just runs really bad, and smells like petrol also black liquid most likely condensation mixing with exhaust fumes is coming out the exhaust PLEASE HELP cheers also blows out a decent amount of black smoke.

and the fix was.......

replaced O2 sensor an now it's all good cheers mate! , wondering anyone else have this problem i replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing and when i squeeze any of the hoses, i can here the thermostat moving around ?

all seems pretty good until you are told that the O2 is NOT used by a VN at idle.......let me type that more slowly.......O2 is NOT USED BY A VN AT IDLE.......THE VN ECU DOES NOT USE O2 AT IDLE. If you change the O2, then re-start the car and it suddenly is heaps smoother, then o2 was was not part of the fix.

What about your VR? At idle your VR does NOT use O2........post 2 asked about codes...did you check codes?

Last edited:

RX25SE

Reaction score
Members Ride
What about your VR? At idle your VR does NOT use O2....
My VS would drop out of closed loop as soon as the O2 sensors cooled off.
Most others I tested did the same.

....post 2 asked about codes...did you check codes?

Should have logged a 'MAP sensor voltage high' code from memory.

RX25SE

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a mate come over and look at it and he says the same thing, he showed me how to check them so I'll go through them all tomorrow morn, I'm out of daylight now.. it's definately not starting, I even tried the flat to the floor because i thought I may have flooded it but still nothing. I believe whole heartedly that they set me up.. that's why I never usually use mechanics. They see a chick walk through the door and think they can walk all over me.. thanks heaps for your help I will update tomorrow once I have checked the injectors :)
Injectors? They will be fine.
Clean or replace spark plugs, flooring it won't help when the plugs are fouled.

Why would they set you up?

Maybe they bumped the hose off when they were working on it?