Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Brakes Locking on.

m3taL

For what its worth.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
88` S1 VN, 5spd & 94' VR Wagon
Went to go to the supermarket thismorning and i noticed the car was Real Sluggish. and when i got off the accel it was under brake load and would come to a halt very quickly.

i limped it home and it seems that the brakes are half locked on.. anyone ever come across this problem and anyone know where to start looking for the problem.

the wagon has ABS and had the brakes (discs and pads) done 7000km ago before i brought it.

my missus drove it 3 days ago and noticed the same issue and the brake light was locked on. then it came right and didnt do it again, done bout 40k since that and then thismoring it done it.....

bout all the info iv got.. bout to go do some investigationing!

50DWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VIP
Could be a sized caliper also are there any noises/vibrations coming from the breaking system?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
sounds like a seized caliper to me too. Jack it up and see which wheel wont spin freely, and check it out for issues.

m3taL

For what its worth.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
well i brought it home thismorning with it all locked on and swapped cars to go to work.

just took it for a drive and nothing wrong, done 40k, plenty of hard brakeing took it out on the highway upto 100k and braked hevily, and nothing wrong... seems to be another commodore intermittant problem... will just have to keep an eye on it.

Does anyone know if the ABS actually has an electronic Actuator in it? or is it only activated when the pedal is pressed? thinkin may be an abs fault...

if it was a Seized Caliper how do i fix this? Grease the slides??

50DWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VIP
if it was a Seized Caliper how do i fix this? Grease the slides??
Depends it could be simple as that or it might be the caliper piston once you have the caliper off you should be able to inspect it signs of surface rust etc on the slides or the piston its self.If it is a abs fault the dash abs light should light up on the dash and stay on well that's in japas sorry new to Holdens :shutup: but some one will confirm this please....

Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr ute
dont know much about abs but could there be a case where something small enough in the fluid keeps getting stuck in a particular hole then gets freed by pressure then recirculates?

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
The ABS OFF light may mean there is a sensor problem.
Try bridging Terminal 5 (black wire) and Terminal 12 (blue/black wire) on the connector under dash. The codes should spit out with the abs light (not the engine light like when you normally check for codes) .

Post back what codes you get and I'll let you know what it is...
Just can't be bothered typing all of them out atm lol.

Good Luck.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I very much doubt its the abs, it will only ever actuate if it detects wheel lockup, besides that its a dead unit until it gets signal. You will aslo hear and feel it whe it works. Also what you described is like brake drag, abs actually makes your calipers release not bite on. I'd be looking at your calipers still.

m3taL

For what its worth.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey just got back from trackin all around the joint, no problems except for my missus said it sometimes seems to pull to the right.. checked ABS Codes and only code 12. i guess thats Normal Operation.

going to flush the brake system tomorrow and grease all the slides and stuff. throw a new set of pads under it just cos iv got them off. will be paying plenty of attn to right hand side brakes.

will keep posted

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Yep, a bleed, grease and pads will do wonders! Make sure you use high temp grease when doing the slides...rubber grease is a good one...