Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR brakes

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
It could be the master cylinder but usually when it goes, you usually would see the idle change everytime you put your foot on the pedal.

gonna check that out tomorrow morning. never noticed that.

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
VR/VS brakes from new are just ordinary at best. You can improve them a little by going to the larger master cylinder, and good spec pads help, but seriously it used to be the VT brake upgrade was the go, but nowadays I hear there are good kits to upgrade them to VE. It's pretty simple DIY job too and well worth it. Btw ABS doesn't "improve" brakes as such, it just modulates the brakes electronically so they never lock and stay locked, so you still have steering under extreme braking. Sounds to me with yours it's just the brakes are poor.

finally ur comment making sense to me. bacause when i bought this car i went to this guy to get roadworthy and he always charges very cheap. i just wanted to pay less lol. i believe he put some cheap sh1ty pads. definitely gonna pull out and check them.

and that kit very expensive mate. its not worth spending that much money on this car. gonna get good set of pads soon.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
No worries mate, understand re the cash. Just didn't want you thinking something was seriously wrong when really the brakes are just pretty ordinary even if they are in good condition. I remember when I first got my VR senator seriously I couldn't believe how poor the brakes were. Do a search, good quality pads will make a difference though, and if your mechanically minded, going to the larger bore master cylinder (from a wrecker) will improve pedal feel.

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
yeah mate just wondering which master cylinder would fit in my vr? i mean which car got a bigger master cylinder that would fit ?

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
There are different sizes, 15/16, 1", fast fill etc. i changed mine to the VT fast fill, which has a section with a larger bore, then the regular 1", what that does is means when you first apply the brakes the larger bore takes up the "slack" with the pads quickly then the smaller hoer gives you the feel. I am by no way an expert on all the varieties of masters though. Can I suggest you do some searching on here, or better still give the guys at Racebrakes a call and chat to them about the options.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are a couple of issues with the stock brakes as already mentioned.

One that is often overlooked is the MC support bracket in the engine bay.

Pop you bonnet and get someone to jump in the drivers seat and apply the brakes and see how much the booster/MC move forward when the brake is applied with a bit of force. The fix is simple, get rid of the factory piss weak sheet metal bracket and make one from some decent steel or alloy bar/plate.

One issue I always found with mine was that if you gave the brake pedal a quick tap before applying the brake properly (like race drivers do before a big stop) is that the brake pedal is a lot firmer on the 2nd application. This would suggest that pad knock back may be a problem or it could indicate that the brake calliper seals are getting old and stiff. I overhauled my callipers but without much improvement unfortunately. Other causes may be wheel bearing that are getting a bit sloppy or a brake rotor that has a slight warpage problem.

The missus VS has standard rotors and callipers with some decent pads but I have fitted the later VT style booster and M/C and the last time I got a WOF the guy at the testing station commented how well the brakes worked.

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
well in saying that,my vr Calais s2 has got Lucas pads on the front,braided front lines,slotted and dimpled front rotors,new rotors and Bendix pads on the rear,and the brakes are unbelievable,so depends on what you wanna do to your car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The biggest issue on the VR-VS is brake pad quality. Years ago when I had my VS, I made the mistake of using a cheap generic pad, never had a good pedal. Put a decent set in (not going to name brands) and the pedal improved markedly.

Also, when fitting brake pads, the bedding in procedure HAS to be done to get a good pedal feel. Only on these models though, earlier and later didn't seem to matter much. Except if fitting a metallic pad to the VT.

My VS was ABS also, which tends to make them even worse. Fit a good quality pad and bed them in and you will find the pedal and braking performance improve.