Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais Fuel Problem

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
G'day guys, been searching the forums for a few days but cant find anything specific to my problem. I'll walk you through what has happened.

Got the car with a 1/4 of a tank in it. Not a single problem with it at all. Apart from the bit where it goes back to idle on sharp right hand turns.

I pulled up to the servo for the first time the other night to put about 10 litres in her. Went to leave. She winds over and over but doesnt fire. Did this for 5-6 times before the engine burst to life. Everything was fine from then on.

Until the next day i put about 30 litres in the tank. And the same problem. Except this time i couldnt get it to start. Sitting there waiting for my friend to pick me up i fiddled with the fuel lines coming out of the tank ... at that time my friend pulled up and turned the key and it started. He said it might have something to do with the ignition. But i feel its related more to the fuel.

I can hear the fuel pump priming. The problem seems to be when putting fuel in. So there must be something internally wrong..?

Since then it seems to be a bit more reluctant to start.

Any ideas?

Jake =)

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
the battery in your key might be going flat or the little pointy thing on the key might not be touching the ignition enough to let it spark but let it turn over

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Revs falling or engine stalling while sharp cornering is 99.99% always the fuel pump, or swirl pot around the fuel pump pickup. Even if you hear it priming doesn't mean its providing good pressure..

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but for future troubleshooting purposes:

Vee-ard was correct, after replacing my fuel pump with no difference I eventually bought a whole new fuel tank + sender unit from a wreckers.

Scott's Parts Plus - Dubbo were a pleasure to deal with and supplied a quality product, well packaged and presented. Highly recommended dealing with them if given the opportunity.

It no longer dies around corners and im hoping this solves my starting issue !

Cheers,
Jake.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Glad u posted an update, always good to have an answer :)

Hope its sorted, if not, I would be looking at the breather hoses on the tank or the charcoal canister. Sounds like its something to do with vapor

bradzhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5litre aussie hydrolic roller worked
the battery in your key might be going flat or the little pointy thing on the key might not be touching the ignition enough to let it spark but let it turn over
haha, an u where born fully qualified aye, be hard in person, that means face to face, thats all im goner give ya champ, otherwise id be as hard as u,,,, 1 bad ass computer hero

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
haha, an u where born fully qualified aye, be hard in person, that means face to face, thats all im goner give ya champ, otherwise id be as hard as u,,,, 1 bad ass computer hero
I don't know how you got that from what he said. To me it seemed that he was trying to give advice, although it was not the problem in this case it can be the problem in some cases where a car won't start.

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
I would be looking at the breather hoses on the tank or the charcoal canister. Sounds like its something to do with vapor

Now that you mention it one of the lines running from the TB to the Charcoal canister is severed, and always has been since i've owned it. Do you think that would be a problem ?
I didnt think the charcoal canister wasn't that important, shows what i know xD
Cheers,
Jake.