Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Commodore factory radio problem

Kenwood Risley

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR Berlina Series II
G'day, a little while ago the battery in my '95 VR Berlina died and it sat in my garage for about 2 weeks without one until I finally got it replaced and the terminals because they were cracked.
After I put it in the factory radio needed the security code and since I don't drive it much I never really bothered to get the code and make it do until today, about 3 months later when I finally have some free time.
It has this 10 stacker CD thing in the boot and a little control that is Velcroed just under the radio and it hooks in to make the 10 stacker work but also keep the factory radio in working order.
Anyway, today I tried to get the CD player to work and with limited success I got -some- sound to play but it was extremely distorted and full of static so I tried to get the radio to go to the right frequency for it and after pressing literally every button on the face of it, the radio's screen became - -- and doesn't respond to anything.
I then rang up my local dealer and got my code and punched the numbers in while the key was in accessories but still nothing happened. I then unplugged the battery and left it out for about 5 minutes to see if it would reset but it's still - --.
I honestly don't have the time or money to go out and get a new CD player hooked up so is there any way I can get the damn thing to work?
Cheers for any help or suggestions

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You have an aftermarket FM transmitted CD stacker connected to the factory radio, you need the exact frequency for the CD to transmit over the FM radio, try finding the brand name on the stacker then google the FM frequency required.
Also for them to work from a cold start they need to be reset from the dash controller, look for the pen hole reset button, stick a ball point pen in it when switched on and then try to re tune the FM frequency.
Hope that helps.

chook350

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3
which factory head unit is it? ive got 1 complete with code and book. free to good home