Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR crankshaft bolt - harmonic blancer stuffed

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Hi Guys,

I know this has been done to death but looking for a good and safe way to undo that damn crankhaft bolt. I have a puller and new harmonic balancer ready to go. Car is VR ute auto that I was just about to get re-registered but it's currently unroadworthy and embarrsing to drive :)

Tried for about an hour with a rachet gun but it wasn't budging.. I think my issue is the engine will still turn over. I couldn't find the link on how to stop this from happening?

I would take it to a mechanic but wondering if it's safe to drive?

Additionally if anyone in western Sydney wants to come and loosen the bolt and install on site I'm happy to pay cash. (PM me)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Get a long breaker bar onto the bolt with the socket. Then stick the end of the bar under the chassis rail and crank.

EDIT: Why are you driving if it isnt registered?

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Okay, I can do that..I need a longer breaker bar to do that but it's a bit easier than what I was thinking.

The driving I am talking about is driving 10 minutes down the road to get a blueslip/mechanic to replace harmonic balancer at the same time.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Okay, I can do that..I need a longer breaker bar to do that but it's a bit easier than what I was thinking.

The driving I am talking about is driving 10 minutes down the road to get a blueslip/mechanic to replace harmonic balancer at the same time.
You can always slip a piece of bar over the end of the breaker bar to lengthen it

Jarryd F

Reaction score
Members Ride
S13 Silvia, VR S2 Exec, VX equpe, VE omega
if the 'start bump' technique doesn't work, which it didn't for me. Which was quite strange because it worked on every other motor except my Buick v6. the manual says to remove the starter and jam the drive plate ring gear teeth with a GM special tool or with a screw driver. But I find this never works and you end up wrecking the ring gear.

They way I do it is pretty dangerous but it works.

1-remove all the spark plug leads, or take the connector off from the coils (anything to stop the motor from running)
2-get a ballsy mate to hold onto the breaker bar, with a massive length of pipe on the end. (depends on how buff they are)
3-crank the motor while your mate holds the breaker bar and kinda walks it in the other direction.

while you crank and your mate is holding the breaker bar with a pole on it. the starter will sort of stall the engine and keep it from spinning allowing you to crack the bolt.

as for removing the balancer, you've got the tool. But i made a puller out of a pice of 3mm steel, 1 bolt and nut, and 3 M8 or M6 bolts that are about 70mm long.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Or you could do as was suggested have it on the chassis rail stay well away in case it does kick off. Saves any one potential injuries.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
lol if it hits the rail but wont quite undo/crack the bolt loose when it hits
jump start the car for more power from the starter :) good old trick people
forget doing it this way loads the starter up and if bettery is crap
it often wont work~!

Jarryd F

Reaction score
Members Ride
S13 Silvia, VR S2 Exec, VX equpe, VE omega
^^ this is what happened to me.

I usually do the starter + breaker bar trick on cars but for some reason my commodore never would do it (wont work on hondas either as they torque bolt heaps from factory). either **** battery, starter or both. So thats why I was giving him the other option that worked for me. Like i said dangerous, but if done properly, it works a treat.

fragmoider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII One Tonner
Thanks guys..I think I'll have a last go at it using the breaker bar under the chassis and then if not hobble on down to the local mechanics shop and hand it over.

What is it with old cars, as soon as they get a whiff of being moved on something like this breaks :)

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
This thread inspired me to have another crack at an old eco block in my yard with a stuck crank bolt.

I had tried everything mentioned in this thread, old belt, starter and stuff.

We had all had a go and given up on it.

So decided to take the starter off(3bolts and 2mins) and brace the ring gear with a 14inch flathead.

6ft bar bent 2 1/2 inch breaker bars but cracked the bolt.

Worth a shot. I just scored a free balancer for the effort.