Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Vr inlet gasket replacement

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I have never heard of putting oil onto a gasket surface, would this just cause more leaks in future ? Gasket dressing yes. I am sure there was a write up like this before on the same motor, and used sealant around oil and water holes and in corners where head meets front and rear edge.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I have never heard of putting oil onto a gasket surface, would this just cause more leaks in future ? Gasket dressing yes. I am sure there was a write up like this before on the same motor, and used sealant around oil and water holes and in corners where head meets front and rear edge.

Hey Mate,

Well i asked the Guys at holden and thats what they told me todo, Its just the help the gaskets to be able to move while moving them into position and so they don't warp/distort. No They wont leak because when its tight hows anything going to get past? and no gasket sealant etc is required for the inlet gaskets as they are Rubber, not paper type.

94VRtuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR EXECUTIVE
Umm yeah sorry, bloody newbie's, the last pic on the thread has a view of coolant in the square hole, top left hand corner. My one was corroded somewhat but what it connects to on the inlet manifold was COMPLETELY blocked, almost looked like it was purposefully blocked but corroded badly. It chips away easily like the corroded hose connections i was talking about.
Mine was like that to blocked off on the inlet manifold, i think they meant to be like it as mine was nice and smooth.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Mine was like that to blocked off on the inlet manifold, i think they meant to be like it as mine was nice and smooth.

yeah i dunno, i just cleaned everything and did not take notice of it.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Umm yeah sorry, bloody newbie's, the last pic on the thread has a view of coolant in the square hole, top left hand corner. My one was corroded somewhat but what it connects to on the inlet manifold was COMPLETELY blocked, almost looked like it was purposefully blocked but corroded badly. It chips away easily like the corroded hose connections i was talking about.

Yep, normal. Where there is corrosion it's sensible to clean then fill in the corroded part with silicone type sealant because while the corrosion will be mostly inside the gasket sealing surface you can't be certain that it will still be with a new gasket and the manifold in a slightly different place. If you were really keen, you could fill it with Devcon or similar but I've always just used some sealant. Use a razor blade to wipe it flush with the manifold surface.

I agree with not using oil. There should be nothing between the sealant or gasket and the metal surfaces otherwise you have already created a leak path before you start.

There should indeed be some sealant applied to the corners/ends of the gaskets where the heads meet the block. Apply a small bead in the corners before fitting the gaskets. A squirt of carb. cleaner and a scrub with an old toothbrush in the corners first will help the sealant stick to the metal.

Plastic fittings are better than brass in that they minimize corrosion due to the different metals setting up a Galvanic cell and that you can't damage the thread in a manifold with the plastic fittings.

GMH head stud sealer is perfect for sealing the bolts as is one of the Loctite or Permatex (same stuff) thread sealants. Both the male and female threads need to be clean for a good seal.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
When you take the injector plugs off don't remove the clips. Push them in and it will come off. Saves you losing the clips.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
When you take the injector plugs off don't remove the clips. Push them in and it will come off. Saves you losing the clips.

Ah cheers mate, iv always removed the clips cause i tried once pushing them in and never came off :hmmm:

Works either way i guess. :surprise:

Hope this how too has helped some of the guys here :)

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yep, normal. Where there is corrosion it's sensible to clean then fill in the corroded part with silicone type sealant because while the corrosion will be mostly inside the gasket sealing surface you can't be certain that it will still be with a new gasket and the manifold in a slightly different place. If you were really keen, you could fill it with Devcon or similar but I've always just used some sealant. Use a razor blade to wipe it flush with the manifold surface.

I agree with not using oil. There should be nothing between the sealant or gasket and the metal surfaces otherwise you have already created a leak path before you start.

There should indeed be some sealant applied to the corners/ends of the gaskets where the heads meet the block. Apply a small bead in the corners before fitting the gaskets. A squirt of carb. cleaner and a scrub with an old toothbrush in the corners first will help the sealant stick to the metal.

Plastic fittings are better than brass in that they minimize corrosion due to the different metals setting up a Galvanic cell and that you can't damage the thread in a manifold with the plastic fittings.

GMH head stud sealer is perfect for sealing the bolts as is one of the Loctite or Permatex (same stuff) thread sealants. Both the male and female threads need to be clean for a good seal.

Funny How asking for help first then after its done everyone comes pics holes in it all lol
Well putting oil on the rubber gaskets first is what i was told by several mechanics first, just so they can move a little and not warp while moving the manifold into place, makes sense cause if it was dry, you could end up warping the gasket and cause even more problems.
After 2 months the Coolant clean, theres no leaks at all. and i check the car weekly for fluid levels.
and for sealant, everyone told me theres no need so i did not put any in the corners as the gaskets interlock each other.

ST8NIT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman V6
good how to.i guess its up to urself to decide on which way to go with oil or sealent on the gaskets.i personally used permatex grey where the gaskets meet.tensining is extremly important tho over these an theyll snap an leave u where u started.

Casslee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
I know this is quite old but is the set up the same with a VT