Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR oil pump

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
Hey guys, just got my statesman running (thank you to everyone who gave me advice) but I pulled the oil filler cap off the valve cover and didn’t see any oil even with a torch, does that means my oil pump is fucked or how long should oil take to reach there?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Please beware when posting new threads they go into the relevant section, the showcase section is not for technical questions.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
V8 I assume?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hey guys, just got my statesman running (thank you to everyone who gave me advice) but I pulled the oil filler cap off the valve cover and didn’t see any oil even with a torch, does that means my oil pump is fucked or how long should oil take to reach there?
Did you pre fill the pump first before you put it in? The common method to “prime” the pump as it were is to pack it with vasoline, although I didn’t do that on my old VS Statesman.

After I rebuilt the engine I didn’t know about having to prime the pump and started it up thinking it would pull the oil through by itself. I ended up having to pull the pump back off and pour oil down the hole in the block and into the pump housing and then put it back together. It ended up pulling oil through after that.

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
Did you pre fill the pump first before you put it in? The common method to “prime” the pump as it were is to pack it with vasoline, although I didn’t do that on my old VS Statesman.

After I rebuilt the engine I didn’t know about having to prime the pump and started it up thinking it would pull the oil through by itself. I ended up having to pull the pump back off and pour oil down the hole in the block and into the pump housing and then put it back together. It ended up pulling oil through after that.

I was told when I bought the motor it just needed oil and it’s ready to go, if the previous owner drained the sump would the pump remain “primed” as it does Doing an oil change. I did notice a slight decrease in oil on the dipstick after letting it run for 10-20 seconds with some revs. It’s pissing loads of smoke out the tailpipe and coolant ports so I’m worried I may have a shot head gasket because I can’t hear any unusual noise from the engine which I would think means oil is circulating but learning this **** as I go so I’m not sure

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If the engine was running beforehand and the pump/oil pickup wasn’t disconnected then it should have been ok.

The 5 litre V8 doesn’t normally have much oil in the top end at all as it only comes from the holes in the pushrods so if your only looking down the filler hole you might not be seeing much oil anyway.

Does the oil pressure switch work properly and is the oil light off? If you want peace of mind then get an oil pressure guage tool to check the oil pressure.

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
If the engine was running beforehand and the pump/oil pickup wasn’t disconnected then it should have been ok.

The 5 litre V8 doesn’t normally have much oil in the top end at all as it only comes from the holes in the pushrods so if your only looking down the filler hole you might not be seeing much oil anyway.

Does the oil pressure switch work properly and is the oil light off? If you want peace of mind then get an oil pressure guage tool to check the oil pressure.
Not too sure, where abouts is the oil pressure switch. Also given it’s a vt motor in a vr will the plugs match?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Best way to verify oil pressure is to put a actual pressure gauge in the pressure port on the oil pump. Take out all the spark plugs and then wind the engine over on the starter. Remove the ignition relay so no power goes to the injectors or ignition as it is not good to have the ignition trying to spark with no plugs connected.