Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Senator wiring... particularly cigarette lighter.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I have been fixing up a few different things on a mate's VR Senator and I'm up to wiring niggles now.

The lighter has never worked as long as he's owned the car. I pulled the console up and discovered some shenanigans. The wiring doesn't match up with the VS base model replacement lighter I pinched. The VS has the normal two plugs (2 pin and a single), while the only plug I can find in the VR loom is this weirdo, with 3 wires to 2 pins:

Is this the right plug? If so, how the hell does it wire up?

Also if anyone can help me out while we're in the same area of the car, I found a mystery pipe behind the climate control fascia. You can see it in this pic, the small square mouthed one. I've no idea where it goes or what its purpose is. I also have no idea what the bit with four round holes with yellow spongy stuff behind them is, or is for.

Here's a pic of the car, just because :)

Lastly, if anyone has any ideas why the alarm would keep going off (assuming factory one, since it sounds the horn and not an auxiliary siren), I'd love some pointers on where to look for that. It's annoying as **** having to lock the car manually every time so the thing doesn't arm. Goes off for no reason, all the bloody time.

Cheers,
Sam

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Can't help you with the lighter but it looks like there should be another loom for the cigarette lighter and illumination plugged into it. Not too sure though.

As for the little pipe, it is supposed to connect to the back of your climate control unit, where the interior temp sensor is, see pic. Very difficult to connect when putting the climate control module back because you run out of room to hold the hose in place. It should slide over the temp sensor housing.

Climate_Back_zpsc8696b51.jpg

The little block with the four holes is the climate control vacuum actuator pack. It controls the direction of air flow (face, demister, feet etc.) It's also a common one to fail over time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I would say that plug was for the power/economy switch but it looks like a manual so that can't be right either.

Has the car had any other accessories wired in?

As far as I have seen the sigi lighter wiring is the same from VN-VS

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
That plug look like centre console illumination, and maybe rear footwell lights aswell.

Lighter wiring is normally in with park/reverse switch and gear position indicator wiring. Should still be there even if its manual

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Yep, found the lighter wiring taped down to the floor tucked away under the carpet. Strange.

No idea what that other plug was for, don't really care :p if it's unused then it's unused.

Shame these manual leather console covers are so damn hard to find, this one is ruined beyond all repair and gets worse every time it's removed/replaced.