Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Suspension Question

Fitty5

Reaction score
Gday guys, ive got a question about the suspension on my VR
When i bought the car it had already been professionally lowered with pedders super lows, and i know new shocks were put in, but im not sure what sort. But the car rides fairly rough, so im guessing the shocks are sports shocks? or something similar.

My question is, i want to make the ride a heck of a lot smoother, so would it be a matter of taking it back to pedders, where the previous owner got the work done, and ask them to have a look and maybe give me a quote on how much some better shocks would be to make the ride alot less rough?

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Lowered, generally = Rough Ride, Just think the lower it is the stiffer the shocks have to be to prevent the car from bottoming out and causing severe damage....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The only way you will get a smoother ride is to revert to normal springs and shocks. Lowered springs are shorter to allow the car to sit lower and also they are made stiffer so as not to bottom out as there is less suspension travel. The spring stiffness plus the lower centre of gravity allows the car to corner and handle better with much less roll on corners.
It will cost to get this work done especially if you have to pay someone to do the labour - unless you use second hand parts you will be up for 4 springs and 4 shocks plus labour which would not leave much change out of $1000 plus you will end up with a Commodore which has "ordinary" suspension, rolls on corners and generally handles average.....but it will be smoother.
Your tyres might also be making the ride rougher if they are over-inflated.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Yep, if you can get your hands on some stock springs, or even lows should be ok if that's what you've got, and get your hands on a set of Boge shocks, as they're generally known to be the best comfort shocks whilst maintaining decent handling.

markc3012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss Commodore
If the work was done at Pedders they are supposed to have a 2 year nationwide warranty which meens you can go to any Pedders store and have them look at any problems you have. Dont know about any one else but Pedders are not cheap, but you do get 2 year warranty/back up, so use it!!