Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V6 Engine Blew up??

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
wont i get abit more power if i d o2.5 ,cause most people these days get 2.5 redback, whats the difference between 2.4 and 2 1/4, and can i get redback in 2 1/4..

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
lol.. Not really, all you'l really get is lots of noise, and probaly more noise than any actual power gain, if anything, you may even lose power from the normal street driving rev range.
Everyone just says 'yeah mate go 2.5"..' bla bla cause that's what they've heard too and think it's gospel.
2.5" is 2 and a 1/2 inch's.
2.4 is just .1 of an inch smaller than 2.5".
2 and a 1/4 inch's is 2.25 inch's.
Yeah you should be able to get redback in 2 1/4, should be able to get it just about any size.

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Ok so what size is the stock exhaust?? and just to let you know, i got lsd 4 pin, 3:4:5 gears , CAI, Filter k & n, pacemaker extractors and Vy v6 engine in my Vr.. but still haven't exhaust.. So with all these mods you still recommend i get 2.25 with rear muffler and center??

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
Well what size exhaust was on the car before it blew up, when you were doing 190km/h@*how much*rpm?
Standard exhaust system is 2" on VR/VS V6, I don't know about the VY system, but I'm guessing the same, it's (basically) the same engine.
But even with a 2.25" system, you should still be gaining a 1/4 inch for an extra freer flow over stock, yet still retaining 'public street' performance and efficiency, and therefore economy.
Even with all those mods you have so far, they are not enough for you to need a big exhaust, it's still only a 6cyl, and the engine itself is still basically stock.
With a 2.5", I think you'l just end up losing economy, and smoothness on the street, and gain a lot of noise, without any real performance to back up all the noise. :)

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Bonez even if i have centre muffler and rear, i heard the car is not that loud, id love to hear a sample.. and when i was doing 190km i was about 6rpm lol..

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
lol.. Well see this is my point, normal street driving isn't(shouldn't) be at anywhere near 6000rpm, it's between about 1000 to 3000 at most, if you want any form of economy that is.
At these rpm, a 2.5" system really serves no purpose at all, and actually causes your system to lose some* performance.
But, as I've said before, it's your car, and your money, go with the 2.5" if that's what you feel your car needs to sound the best for you.
Plus, if you are still going to run two mufflers, you shouldn't get that horrible drone noise, but should still have a good note. :)

Last edited:

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
im not doing this exhaust system for sound, im doing it for best performance? in 2 weeks im going to put a bigger throttle body and stage 2 shift kit..and also a chip from dr bob.. Now i just rang tid bros exhaust place.. and the manager said stock exhaust is 2 &1/4 and that i should go 2.5 so the car can breath better.. thats y im confused now lol.. i obviously dont know a lot about cars.. but when people say from the cat & back, where abouts in the car is that, cause i want to change my whole exhaust system to be the same measurement, this is where im confused? Like can i get a a system with 2 mufflers going straight to the extractors?

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
I think if you are still going to run two mufflers, then 2.5" will probably be fine. :)

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Ok but will this sound be anywhere near as annoying as having a straight pipe through from cat back ,because that sounded like a lawnmower lol