Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr/vs Ute Subwoofer Enclosure

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II

1fatve

bling
Reaction score
Members Ride
red ve sv6, blue ss-v, vx clubby kitted, vl turbo
hay guys, can anyone post the dimensions please would be very helpful thankyou :)

Dirou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II "S" ute auto
A simple effective VS ute subwoofer

Here is the void. Note pre-existing ports blocked to stop shizen entering cabin during fitting.

2.jpg

Use cardboard to to create template. I used marine ply because the previous MDF failed when
driving through a swollen creek. Extra hole is for tray drainage pipe. Loosen fuel tank to get better
access see bolts in void. Blank off floor holes, I used thick adhesive tape.

3.jpg

4.jpg

10" Pioneer polymer sub survived dunking !
Be careful the depth of sub cone to clear tray cover.

5.jpg

Secure board with self tappers.

7.jpg

I then used a can of expanding foam to seal all gaps. This becomes very hardened with curing
and stops any rattles, virtually gluing the whole thing in.

As the void is now sealed the ports to the cabin become very effective as in an enclosed sound box
required for effective acoustic properties.

This thing seriously pumps great bass and is unobtrusive. :spot on:

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
This looks like a great way to go about it man, would stop the heat/dust/FUEL SMELL issues, (i had a cover off once to test, and the heat and fuel smell in summer was intense)
This looks like something i might have to try, as i know i need to pull the cover off to replace a broken vent hose on the fuel tank, just that pulling the damn gas tank out to get to it all is annoying, guess i should change the fuel pump while im there again lol

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Why would you put a sub in the tray any more? The slim line subs you can get now are that good it makes it redundent.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
because...... im a tall bloke, and most people that sit in the other seat are tall as well, so both seats are all the way back had against the rear wall, and it cant go between the seats because thats where the amp lives, so that leaves under the tray...

Red_Vs_Ute_18"

Reaction score
Members Ride
red vs commodore ute 3.8 1995
Hey
Im Guessing you've got a ute? but to install my twellve in i just built a tighfitting box around it and then bolted it to the rear wall in the cabin between the seats.
sounds awesome beein so close to ya. and yes theres still enough room to open the centre console and rest your arm comfortably. If ya want any pics or ta
talk more about it just chuck us ya email adress?
cheers

Dirou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II "S" ute auto
Has anybody got pics or design drawings of the ever popular, sub-in-long-range-tank-well, in a VR/VS Ute tray?

I've heard of so many people taking this install option, but never actually clapped eyes on one in real life.

After months of sidetracking through other projects, coupled with an extensive list of, 'Yeh buddy, we can do it.' and 'Man, It'll ******* hammer, for sure. I'll have to work it out properly though.' style dismissals, I finally find the stereo install job at the top of the list.

I'm mainly interested in the optimum driver placement and overall box design.

Water-proofing and sound deadening are also issues to look at. Would that silver matting people use in their boot lids etc. be appropriate for lining the tray's access panel and the surrounding well? I can't for the life of me think of the bloody name but it's quite malleable prior to application and then it sets rock hard if I recall correctly.

Would MDF be an appropriate material or will I find that plywood is more suited to the application?

Any photographs would also assist greatly.