Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 2 Statesman Air Condition Problem

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS2 Statesman V6 Not Supercharged
Hi, I own a 1997 Holden Statesman VS2 with a V6 normally aspirated engine with 280k on the clock.

My problem is with the Automatic Climate Control (ACC) system. The air compressor works very effectively and has been re-gassed when a new compressor was fitted recently.

The ACC will not direct air to the face vent after the car is stopped and re-started. The fan tries hard to direct the cool air to the face vents but is unsuccessful. If the ACC is manually selected to the face/foot or foot vent location, cool air readily flows to the foot vent alone.

Cycling the selection from face to foot makes no change and neither does switching between Auto and Manual. After about half an hour, the face vents become active again without any other input.

For all the life of the car, when making a downhill to uphill change, the vent will switch itself from face to foot momentarily before resuming face air.

The Vacuum Tank and One-Way Vacuum Valve check out OK.

This is perplexing. Does anyone have a solution for me?

Jim C

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Sounds like a vacuum problem. Foot vents are the default air flow direction so when there is a fault/lack of vacuum, you'll have only the foot vents working. More than likely it'll be your vacuum solenoid unit, located in the centre console below the head unit. The solenoids in the unit get dirty over time and then get stuck, forcing the air to it's default direction. Also check that any vacuum lines are not leaking/split first because a brand new solenoid unit is pretty pricey, around the $100 mark on ebay.

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks very much. I will inspect the vacuum lines first. Seems access to the solenoid unit will require removal the centre console. I have taken this out before for other reasons so I will hold my tongue in place and practice patience.

Thanks again,

Jim

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
run the car with a/c on and hit the mode button until the icon on the screen changes to face. then give the side of the radio surround in the passenger's footwell a good firm slap. as above the solenoids in the block become stuck and dirty. a good firm slap is usually enough to jolt them into moving into position. if this works, it's probably not a vacuum leak and a fouled solenoid block.

if this doesn't work it's probably a leak. check the back of the engine, it's not uncommon either for the vacuum lines to become loose or even come off.

when the vents do change to face after you've been running the car, do they drop again if you accelerate hard?

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi iChris,

Thanks for the tip. I will try this tomorrow and let you know. I do not think I have a vacuum leak firewall forward because When I disconnect the vacuum line from the intake, and the one-way valve, I can hear air being sucked into the vacuum tank. The vents do not change with high manifold pressure on acceleration.

Tomorrow,I will be undertaking the 280,000 km service and follow your instructions.

Kind regards,

Jim

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Would definitely say that it's your vacuum solenoid box, I had the same issue with mine as well. Replaced the solenoid box and all is well. You shouldn't need to remove the center console, removal of the radio surround gives you enough room to replace it, although a little bit fiddly.

I managed to pick a second hand one up from the wreckers for $35.

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Chrispy,

Thanks for your help. I am carrying out the 280,000 km service today and will check the solenoid box via the radio surrounds. I am an aircraft maintenance engineer and, a such, am used to tricky challenges.

Kind regards,

Jim

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Hi Chrispy,
I am an aircraft maintenance engineer and, a such, am used to tricky challenges.
Kind regards,
Jim

Well Jim if the vacuum solenoid fails at least your car won`t fall out of the sky.:p

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
You can "reco" the vac solenoid, the foam screen in the front are known to perish and disintegrate, small particles block the vac ports. Pull it apart, clean out with some brake cleaner and re-assemble with new foam. I have done this 3 times on 3 different cars, never had to replace a solenoid, try that before buying another one from a wreckers, which will more than likely have a similar issue to your original

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks everyone for your advice and experience.

Yes, the fault was in the vacuum solenoid. I pulled it apart, cleaned it and blew low pressure air through the small vent holes. There were small pieces of rubber slivers partially blocking the vent holes.

I did need slide the console back, remove the radio surrounds and air vent for the rear passengers so as to gain sufficient access.

It all works fine now and hopefully will do so for years to come. I am not renown for changing cars.

So, end of story and thanks very much for your responses.

Jim