Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5 litre overheating troubles...

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
HAH!!! Yeah, believe me I have no intention of leaving it that way!!

(Eeeew, it's horrible too.... It's been flinging all that silicone gel from the bolt holes all over the inside of the shroud...)

Seriously though, I just did that to confirm my suspicion - I'm replacing that clutch, or fitting a flexi-fan, over the next day or so. (depends on cost...)

But yeah, you bet I was relieved when I didn't have to pull the heads! Especially a few days before I have to head to Melbourne!

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good stuff ;-) easy fix for you. :smoking:

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Hi All, and sorry Phreddy for bumming off your thread.

I am having similar issues in my 5ltr VT SS Commodore, I have replaced the coolant (full flush), hoses and thermostat, timing is fine; yet the car continues to struggle with overheating on sustained speed runs (i.e. highway driving) but while the car is putting around in traffic it is fine.

I have dropped the oil and found no traces of water in it, and there is no traces of oil in the coolant so at this stage I have ruled out the head gasket (please god, spare me that!lol). However I have noticed when the fans are operating, the drivers side fan is spinning rather slowly and spins more freely then the other one when the engine is hot.

Do the VT 5ltr's have clutch fans, and if so could this be the root of my overheating issues?.. I am running short of ideas!

Any help would be appreciated :)

ken007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE SS
SPEAKING of overheatin & radiators, anyone know of a good place to get a radiator service / reco ? and how much am I looking at spending ?
Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Hi All, and sorry Phreddy for bumming off your thread.

I am having similar issues in my 5ltr VT SS Commodore, I have replaced the coolant (full flush), hoses and thermostat, timing is fine; yet the car continues to struggle with overheating on sustained speed runs (i.e. highway driving) but while the car is putting around in traffic it is fine.

I have dropped the oil and found no traces of water in it, and there is no traces of oil in the coolant so at this stage I have ruled out the head gasket (please god, spare me that!lol). However I have noticed when the fans are operating, the drivers side fan is spinning rather slowly and spins more freely then the other one when the engine is hot.

Do the VT 5ltr's have clutch fans, and if so could this be the root of my overheating issues?.. I am running short of ideas!

Any help would be appreciated :)

As your overheating is occurring at highway speeds the problem will not lie with the fan(s) as above about 40kph, air coming in through the grille is greater than the air the fans produce.
I'd be looking at the radiator being partially blocked and in need of a reverse flush. If the car is high mileage you can expect it to run hotter.
Another thought - do you have spotties in front of the grille? - they can block the flow of air thru the radiator at speed

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
As your overheating is occurring at highway speeds the problem will not lie with the fan(s) as above about 40kph, air coming in through the grille is greater than the air the fans produce.
I'd be looking at the radiator being partially blocked and in need of a reverse flush. If the car is high mileage you can expect it to run hotter.
Another thought - do you have spotties in front of the grille? - they can block the flow of air thru the radiator at speed

Will be doing another reverse flush and bleed this weekend, it seems like the heater core might be blocked as I am having issues with heating as well; which was suggested in another thread.

The car does have highish milige, sitting on 220,000kms at the moment, however before the problems arrised I do not think I ever saw the temp rise above half... Only spotties are the stocko SS ones.