Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS and VT ecotec Starting issue

yyg998vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Blue VS ute 5spd
I have sometimes heard it is a common problem from the Ecotec motors,

Infact I saw a guy stuck in the middle of Hurstville in a VY series 1 , wonder it is the same prob

I jump in turn the key and the this massive clash noise happens, Dont know if if a piston is hitting a spark plug, but they have been in the car for a while and wasnt doing it before

It starting doing it when I changed a Coil Pack

CLASH, low rev low rev, (almost stalling) then normal for like a second, then rough idle,
Once you turn the motor off again it wont do it

No loss in power, not that i think anyway,

but i have changed,

CRANK ANGLE, 3 coil packs, leads (Top Guns), plugs (bosch super 6), air and fuel filters, last week after reading this forum been run on BP utlimate, Engine mounts

Not a big difference,

Im going to check for vaccuum leaks next and IAC cleaning,

I had an old fart look at my injectors about a month ago when I got the AC regased he said they hooked them up and said they were fine

but over the last 2 week I can hear a super high pitch sound from the fuel tank (pump) or could have something to do with the regulator (so I have heard again)

Possibly these are linked some way, but what is everyones thoughts

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
maybe the high pitch sound is your fuel pump? and it almost stalls because its not supplying enough fuel when your starting it up and on idle.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
maybe the high pitch sound is your fuel pump? and it almost stalls because its not supplying enough fuel when your starting it up and on idle.

That sounds spot-on - high pitched squeal from fuel pump which is sucking/pumping fuel/air mixture. Shortly the pump will fail!!!

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
I have sometimes heard it is a common problem from the Ecotec motors,

Infact I saw a guy stuck in the middle of Hurstville in a VY series 1 , wonder it is the same prob

I jump in turn the key and the this massive clash noise happens, Dont know if if a piston is hitting a spark plug, but they have been in the car for a while and wasnt doing it before

It starting doing it when I changed a Coil Pack

CLASH, low rev low rev, (almost stalling) then normal for like a second, then rough idle,
Once you turn the motor off again it wont do it

No loss in power, not that i think anyway,

but i have changed,

CRANK ANGLE, 3 coil packs, leads (Top Guns), plugs (bosch super 6), air and fuel filters, last week after reading this forum been run on BP utlimate, Engine mounts

Not a big difference,

Im going to check for vaccuum leaks next and IAC cleaning,

I had an old fart look at my injectors about a month ago when I got the AC regased he said they hooked them up and said they were fine

but over the last 2 week I can hear a super high pitch sound from the fuel tank (pump) or could have something to do with the regulator (so I have heard again)

Possibly these are linked some way, but what is everyones thoughts

Your cars engine (somehow) backfired (i think) due to wrong/crossed plug lead connections to the coil pack.Check the airways,filter canister,vacuum hose's etc.Fuel pumps either WORK or NOT at all they never only half work.Also fuel pump's DONT PUMP/SUCK AIR/FUEL MIXTURE's (i dont know how any1 can suggest/say stupid things like this)